Thursday, February 08, 2007

Hello. Hello. Do you like my hat?

In the last few months, my mother has sent me five, yes FIVE new hats. I think it's a sort of compensation for moving far away from me. She can't be nearby, certain I'm safe and snug, but she can at least make sure I've got my head covered when I go out the door.

I like hats. (Although, if you're reading this Mom, it's not like I need more hats!) It's funny because when I was younger, hats looked goofy on me. Well, let's put it this way - whenever I put a hat on my head, my family would stare, laugh, gasp, or quickly point out that perhaps it really wasn't cold enough outside to warrant wearing a hat.

Now I wear hats quite often. I suspect I haven't suddenly started looking better in them as much as I've stopped caring about what other people thing about the way I look. Hats are fun. They make me happy. Especially unusual hats - although I draw the line at those caps with slots for beer cans on the side and a tube that leads down to your mouth.

I thought I'd give you a little fashion show of my new hats.


This is a gardening hat, although while modeling it today I discovered it keeps the rain out of my face quite nice nicely too. It arrived filled with some nice rubberized garden gloves and gardening soap as well.

This hat arrived today and I wore it out to breakfast with hubby. Beautiful colors! It's somewhat beretlike, I can slide the excess to the back or to the side. Not enough of a rim to slide to the front though. It's very warm and snug. A bit itchy though.

I liked the little ladybug hats she sent for the granddaughters so much, she had one made in adult size for me! It's really more of a spring hat though, doncha think?

This was the first one she sent me. It's acrylic but so soft and warm! You can't really tell in the photo but that eyelash yarn doesn't cover the whole hat, just a wide rim and then a couple rings of it alternating with a thick non-eyelash yarn. And the tassel, check out the size of that tassle! This is a hat for DEEP winter.


This visor arrived today as well. Uhm, well, okay. I mean, it's really, really, really wide. So, like, SUPER for keeping the sun out your eyes. As for the style...uhm....cough.... I've never really longed for my own custom made, retractable, striped awning. Definitely my colors though. And since I spend a lot of time on bleachers and hate all the squinting I usually do when I'm sitting on the Visitors side of the field, I might actually have cause to wear it.


Catching up on blog reading this morning, I discovered that on her blog, Laura Florand was telling folks I had the "best email alias, ever". Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it, except for when I'm asked to spell it for someone over the phone - didn't see that one coming. A lot of you already know my e-mail, but those of you left out of the loop, it references one of my favorite literary characters, Granny Weatherwax. She's the genius of Terry Pratchett - a no nonsense, sometimes crabby, always crafty, practitioner of "headology". And she knows the importance of a good hat.

If Laura knew who Granny Weatherwax was, then she must be a fan of the Discworld series, yes? But I wondered if she knew about the even better (in my opinion) young adult books that include Granny, about a young witch named Tiffany Aching.

Since I always forget whether the second book is called A Hat Full of Sky or A Sky Full of Hat, I googled it and......

Discovered there's a NEW book in the series!!! I am soooo excited! I have to order it immediately. This one most definitely goes to the top of my TBR list!









In case you need to run out and find these books lickety split, and you should, make sure you read them in order. The first one is The Wee Free Men (I read this one out loud to my son, and when you see the accent of some of the characters, this point will impress you mightily). Next comes A Hat Full of Sky. Third, brand new, Wintersmith.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shall read them! I hadn't tried those yet. I like hats, particularly the ladybugs. Although I think you need more hats with feathers. Long, twitching plumes, perhaps.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Diana S said...

I love your hats! what a fun mom you have. I love reading books in order. I have many favorite authors and have done that same thing with them. I like to mix young adult books into my reading - I'm going to request the first one from the library - looks like a fun series to read. thanks for the input!

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home