Sunday, April 02, 2006

Wordplay

A couple of weeks ago I started a project which I thought of as a personal alphabet. Here's a link to the original post. Deb picked up on it and called it her personal dictionary, which was a more accurate label. A few other folks have jumped in on the fun and I discovered I really enjoy reading everyone's unique word lists. Alas, the nature of the blog community is to stretch out, like a crazy road map, and it's impossible to keep track of everywhere a thread runs, so I thought it would be fun if we could all find each other.


Wordplay Guidelines

This project was inspired by a now lost and unknown blogger's entry one day entitled "W is for..." I thought about all the W's in my life and decided right then and there to make my own personal dictionary of words, starting with "A is for...." and moving through each letter, about one a week.

To play, make your own "A is for...." post on your blog. It can be as short or as long as you'd like. Just think of all the A words that are special unto you and tell us why, succintly or at great length. Photos are always nice if you've got extra time hanging around unused. Then a week or so later, give us your "B is for...." post, and so on, all the way to Z. Check out some of the participants posts and you'll catch on quick. It's not rocket surgery. It's all about play. And it's about words. And it's about YOUR personal relationship with them.

To participate, send me an e-mail letting me know you'd like your name added to the list of participants and I'll send you the HTML you'll need to put the Wordplay Icon on your blog. Scroll on down and take a look at it over in the sidebar. See it? Isn't it just too cute!? It will link back to this post. Easy peasy. Creative and technical thank you to Deirdre for helping set this up, as I am a bear-of-very- little-computer-skills.

Play at your own pace, although the general idea is to do finish up sometime this year. I'm aiming at about one letter a week, although I might fall behind if I'm out of town a lot, which is in the schedule. You're welcome to create your own routine. It would helpful to make a list of your Wordplay posts in your own sidebar, or simply stick to the "A is for...", "B is for...." titles, so someone can find your Wordplay posts in a blog search bar.

For the moment, I'm going to concentrate on creating my blog entries, but hope this project will develop into the making of altered book(s). Eventually I will move the whole kit and caboodle to it's own blog or list so we can be more interactive. But don't wait until then join in on the fun. A is for ASAP!

-

43 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you add me to your Wordplay list?

Thanks!

metalmimmom@yahoo.com

6:05 PM  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

seriously considering this...

9:38 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Hello and I love the wordplay idea. And want to participate. Can you add me to your word play list! Appreciate (now there's a good "a" and "thanks a bunch". Pat

7:56 AM  
Blogger Ysabeau said...

Won't you please add me, if it's not too late to start? I could catch up, a bit... interesting concept. Thanks! Ysabeau

2:55 PM  
Blogger AscenderRisesAbove said...

please add me to your word play list... I will start tomorrow; great idea and one that people that can progress at on thier own rate

11:23 AM  
Blogger Dragonfly said...

Laume - I'm coming really late to the game but could you add me to your list? I can't believe I missed these posts earlier! (I saw the letter posts, just not the initial one talking about it - until I found it mentioned at DebR's blog).

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you add me to the list? I wrote my A post today...

11:59 AM  
Blogger Beate Knappe said...

Hi, please add me to the list I wrote my A post today...
http://bilderundworte.blogspot.com/
in german

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please add me, too! What a great idea!

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops! my address is j.alford2005@comcast.net

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like fun. I don't see a way to send you email so I'll leave a comment. I just my posted "A is For..." today.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops. I forgot the link to my weblog. (and also my "A" entry),

5:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the idea. It's something I'm trying on my blog. Would you please add me to your list, too?

Thanks for the inspiration!

6:19 AM  
Blogger Abby Marie said...

I'd love to be added...what a great jumpstart for a creative post!

email: abbymwatson@yahoo.com

11:36 AM  
Blogger jo_annie said...

I would looove to be added. I already started!

3:19 AM  
Blogger jo_annie said...

oops, you can email me at joannen@hawaii.edu

my URL is: http://www.annie-thinks.blogspot.com

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to do this! Add me too, please! :)

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

would you please add me to your word list? thank you.

paulette

http://soulful1.mindsay.com

4:30 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

I would love to be added to the wordplay list, please.

shari17@cox.net

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I would like to be added to you WordPlay list.

weblog title is "Versals and Reversibility"' the URL is www.libbymeyer.typepad.com email is libbyameyer at gmail dot com.
Thanks, Libby (I found you through the view from the studio door discussion which I'm very behind)

2:37 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

Oh I love new unique "blog things". Please add me to your Wordplay list!

9:25 AM  
Blogger sara said...

oh me! I want in!e

10:02 AM  
Blogger Lynx said...

I want in on the Wordplay, too! Thank you! This is so fun... Would love to read all the other players' lists, but at the moment am online only at the local library, with time constraints. Boo hoo hoo.....

2:49 PM  
Blogger CalicoDaydreams said...

Been seeing these! I am starting my A's today.

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Might not be rocket surgery, but it sure is brain science. I can't add one more computer play eating up my time otherwise I'd jump right in.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it possible to still be added?

3:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is interesting. I am a fan of wordplay. Feel free to visit www.worthofwordplay.blogspot.com

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
Oh, I love words and word play.
I may have already seen this on Deb's blog and forgotten to try to find time to participate. (Can't remmeber). I found her via Poetry Thursday a few weeks ago.

Seriously considering this- a bit too sleep to think if I can fit this fun activity in. Will let u know.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Twyla (Admire Studios) said...

I'm starting in my LJ today. http://newsong.livejournal.com

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like the link to the Wordplay icon please... or to this post. Thanks!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

Abecedarians Associate!

http://notesqueries.blogspot.com/2007/06/is-for.html

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I flew in here from Deb's site specifically for wordplay, scrolled down to see if I'd be in here before and saw that's "affirmative", an A word that is too formal IMHO. ;)

I have had no time for this, but hope to play later in the summer or early fall. Meanwhile, I read your A list and thoroughly enjoyed it! Words rock! Gr8 idea. I'll let you know when I participate.

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the wordplay idea and would love to be included!!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

ME TOO!! This a great fun idea!
Thanks
http://judy-judysfabricaddiction.blogspot.com/

3:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous homes for sale costa rica said...

"Hi guys, I really enjoyed this information about "Wordplay", is very interesting, I would like get more updates about this"

6:35 AM  
Anonymous louis said...

you always have here an interesting things about cameras though,i really appreciate that

1:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really enjoy very much every the time when i go at the beach. Actually i will go frequently after to prove costa rica investment opportunities , i hope my travel at the beach can be possible.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gdrg

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, That's how Blog slang is invented. I know that at least for me, my vocabulary changed profoundly by the blogging community.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Miami Beach Luxury Condos said...

I'd like the articulation to the Wordplay figure please... or to this post. Thanks!

10:13 PM  
Anonymous cheap mlb jerseys said...

Hello and I love the wordplay idea. And want to participate. Can you add me to your word play list! Appreciate (now there's a good "a" and "thanks a bunch". Pat

6:49 PM  
Anonymous football jerseys cheap said...

What a great idea!

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home