Friday, July 06, 2007

Hot and Smoky

It's a surreal sort of day. We have a big forest fire just the other side of the mountain and the smoke (and all the thunderheads caused by the smoke and heat) have made it feel like a muggy twilight all day.

The dark is all smoke.

In the afternoon, moisture started "plopping" from the clouds. Not raining. I mean "plopping". As if the sky was spitting at us. Just to the south of town, apparently, it wasn't a random plopping but a downpour with flash flood warnings.

In town ash is falling. As I was unloading the groceries I set this soda can down on the sidewalk to show you how much and how big it is! Picking it up, it looks like chips of bark. The long thin pieces disintegrate completely when I try to pick them up, but I assume they were once needles.

At least, if there's a good side, it's cooled down a bit. Hopefully that will help them control the fire.

On a completely unrelated note, Rosie had decided to steal my spot in bed every time I get up.

"I'm just keeping it warm for you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home