Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Bookish Musings

I found this Meme over on Deb's Red Shoe Ramblings and decided, since I was feeling lazy about blogging and feeling bookish, this would be a good solution. I'm going to answer the questions first before I go back and read what Deb says, because sometimes we do that twin thought thing and I don't want to be influenced by her answers first.

1. Hardcover or paperback, and why?

I love the idea of of a hardcover. It feels more "bookish". Some books I read over and over again and a hardcover is necessary to hold up to the wear and tear. But honestly, sometimes hardcovers are heavy and more importantly, BIG. They look more intellectually impressive but they take up more space on the bookshelves. So except for occasional special books, or special circumstances (if I find a hardcover on sale below paperback price, used, or at a thrift store), I'll buy paperback. I like trade paperback prices better, but for reading, I like the size and feel of the larger quality paperbacks.

2. If I were to own a book shop I would call it…

Hmmmm. I'm surprised to discover I've never pondered this before. I've considered names for farms or retreat centers and also quilt stores. I've never thought of what I'd name an antique store, health food store, or bookstore, although I've considered owning the latter three as well. So, with just a few minutes of consideration - maybe The Book Corner. Because I always think of curling up in a cozy corner with a book. Of course I'd have to have my store on a corner then. Or maybe Rainy Day Books. Same reason - what's better on a rainy day than a hot cup of tea, a cozy corner, and a book. I have a character in one of my novel ideas that owns a bookstore - that might be a good name for it. Or how 'bout something a little goofy like Between the Covers. Nah, I might get people looking for different sorts of pleasures. Dang, now I'm gonna have this idea bouncing around in my head for years. Until I come up with something perfect.

3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) is…

I have a lot of quotes I love but the one that came to mind first is a recent read. If you've read the book, you'll remember this line in it. If you haven't, well, I don't want to spoil it for you.

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

4. The author (alive or deceased) I would love to have lunch with would be …

Oh gee, there are so many I'd love to meet and even better if I could pick their brains about process and inspiration and... oh, how to choose! Shakespeare. Or if we aren't bringing anyone back from the grave, then Laura and Joshilyn and Lydia and... and... I'm sure I'm probably missing a blogging buddy but - wouldn't that be awesome to all get together. I suspect that intellectual discourse would quickly slide into silliness, mojitos, and way too much chocolate but it would still be the best time ever.

5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except from the SAS survival guide, it would be…

Awww, man! That's too hard. Can it be a book series? Then I'd probably choose the seven Harry Potter books. Because the characters seem like real people to me so maybe I wouldn't feel so all alone. If I truly could only bring one book than maybe it would be something in another language so I could spend hours and hours trying to master the language. Something I hadn't read before but something long and poetic.

6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that…..

Lit pages on a book better than a booklight. Or oh! No! I know what I'd love - something that would allow me reference access when I get lost. For instance, the murder mystery I'm reading now has a lot of suspects that have only been mentioned on one or two pages. A name popped back up twenty or forty pages later, and left me thinking "Which character was that again?" I really couldn't remember and it bugged me so much I flipped back through the book until I found the name and refreshed my memory. It doesn't happen every book, and it's usually not caused by poor writing but by too long a gap between reading sessions or from reading when I'm too tired. Sometimes it happens when I'm reading a series and a lot of time goes by between books and I can't remember the back story. Then I have to go back to the previous book and scan the story. Of course this only works if I still have the previous book in my possession. (one reason I like to own series rather than borrow them from the library) It happens often enough that it would be nice to just be able to, oh, scan the name with some sort of computerized pen and have the other pages the name is on listed.

7. The smell of an old book reminds me of…

My childhood, my grandmother's books, libraries, wizards.

8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be…

Another tough question. A lot of my favorite characters lead dangerous, difficult, or lonely lives which is, of course, part of what makes them fascinating characters. Characters from one of my favorite fantasy or mystery series get to meet cool supernatural beings or visit exotic places but it would be a lot less fun to find all those corpses or get beat up, chased, or almost killed than it is to read about it. I wouldn't want to be Harry, but I'd like to be Hermione. Maybe Grannyweatherwax - although I'm not in a hurry to be any older than I already am!

9. The most overestimated book of all time is…

Not sure what is meant by "overestimated". Do you mean overly acclaimed? I don't know. I can't think of any specific novel. I can think of several movies. I know The Atkin's Diet is a book and I've just given up trying to explain the difference between a good carb and a bad carb to the Atkin's Cult people. I guess I should mention The Bible. Although it's arguably influenced more people throughout history than any other one book, and it's a useful and comforting guide to many, it's also been misinterpreted or misused by a great number of people with grave results.

10. I hate it when a book….

has a character act out of character to force the plot forward. When I get to know and love a character, particularly one that I've been through more than one book with, I know when a character is being "used" and it's hard to move past that.

Okay, now I'm off to read what Deb said in her list. If you play, please let me know and I'll come read your list too.



3 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

Wow! Um, yeah...there were some differences here and there, but when we think the same, we really think the same, don't we! LOL!

4:56 AM  
Blogger Blame It on Paris said...

Definitely more silliness and chocolate than intellectual discourse. I don't want to say "too much" chocolate, because how can there be too much?

Great list!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As an avid 'bookie' this was really fun!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home