Monday, October 29, 2007

Only Three Days Until Halloween!

Wait. Do we count the day of Halloween itself? Only TWO more days until Halloween! Or maybe, since today is half over..... Only ONE AND A HALF days until Halloween! But then, we won't really celebrate until Halloween night. Only TWO more days until Halloween! No, that's not true, because we're going to have to get ready and the costume contest uptown is in the middle of the afternoon. So. Only TWO AND A HALF more days until Halloween!

Well, whatever it is, you know Halloween is almost here when the vultures start circling.



No, I don't mean those vultures.


I mean these vultures.




Or maybe these vultures, gathered around their own gravestones.



William hasn't mentioned anything about trick-or-treating or watching scary movies or carving pumpkins. The only thing he did was ask if I was going to make our annual gravestone pudding. He asked several times.

I wanted to make the gravestones this year but I couldn't find a reasonably priced (i.e. - not in a set with seven other cookie cutters I didn't need and already have) headstone cookie cutter. Every year it's a challenge to find gravestone shaped cookies. Some years, like this year, I find one, some years I have to settle for something like a vanilla waffle cookie. I'll keep a look out and maybe I can find one by next year. Or, I'm thinking of making one.

I also need to find some new compote dishes. These (the four stemmed ones) have been in the family since I was a kid at least. Not sure where or when my mom got them orginally. For all I know, from her mom. But two of them had serious chips in them this year. And there aren't enough of them left - either I used to have more of them or I was so busy I never bothered trying to match them in years gone by. I saw some really cute, cheap ones the other day with black stems. They'd work for Halloween but be fine for use year round.

They're really easy to make. Chocolate pudding, Oreo cookies smashed up (either scrape off the white middle or buy chocolate middles) crumbled on top makes the soil. Gummi Worms crawling about. A cookie. Icing. I bought some icing gel this year instead of making it this and I had a hard time writing with it. Voila!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the little tombstones on top of the pudding. So cute!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Eeek! Are those for real vultures? Or just really good fakes? I love the gravestone pudding idea, I'm stealing it, looks yummy. See you are still Queen Of Halloween IMHNSHO

3:23 PM  
Blogger Blame It on Paris said...

They're great! I love all these fun Halloween desserts.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home