Friday, June 06, 2008

A Peaceful Park

Hubby and I had to go to Reno yesterday for a doctor's appointment. I didn't have anything else I needed to do there, and I didn't feel like shopping, but with the price of gas I didn't want to waste a trip there by turning around and coming straight home. So we went out for a nice late afternoon meal at Claim Jumper. Love their salads. And then remembered we could go to Trader Joe's and stock up on cheaper soy milk and some decent bread. And I broke down and bought a re-usable bag. I still want to make my own, which is why I only bought one. If I bought a bunch, then I'd have no incentive to make any. But they were so cute and only 99 cents! Standing in line at Trader Joe's, staring at all the chocolate they stock on the check out line end shelf, I realized I could also pop on over to Target to get my favorite chocolate bars. I'm all out and reduced to eating secondary chocolate supplies. Alas, they were out of my very favorite flavor, but I did pick up my second favorite and a few new ones to try.

So, I did so a bit of shopping, but it was all food shopping, so it didn't count. You know what I mean. And then I told hubby we were going to go to a local park to walk the labyrinth and stroll in the botanical gardens. Being a typical guy, he groaned and said he just wanted to get home. He tried to call William and tell him he was being held hostage but I grabbed the phone away from him.


First we walked the labyrinth. Well, I walked it. Hubby walked to the middle and then went and sat on a bench. I love to walk labyrinths and try to get to this one about twice a year. It always ends up being ridiculously windy when I arrive. Don't know what that means. That the park is in a windy part of town perhaps? Today was no different, but it was still warm and green.

I had to explain the difference to hubby between a labyrinth and a maze. They also had a nice sign for him to read. Unlike tarot cards, where I think it helps to hold a specific question in your mind before using them, I like to keep my mind open to what the labyrinth has to say to me whenever I walk it. It's hard for me, I'm the type of person who likes to be in charge, I have to keep letting my skittish thoughts trail off instead of trying to hold onto them or chain them together. It always seems so hopeless when I first start walking but it always amazes me that the labyrinth finds a way to speak to me nontheless. If you've never walked one, I highly recommend the experience. Find one near you.

I haven't been there this time of year before. Everything was so green and peaceful.

The light was very dappled and the wind moving the foliage around made it hard to photograph. Too, I only had my old camera and my batteries gave out. But I still took a few nice photos.

I like how suspended the plant looks between water and sky. That could be light or fog.


Pretty columbines. I can never look at them without thinking of John Denver. I think there's a line about columbines in one of his songs.

More shadow and shade.

Hubby found a fallen star in the grass and gave it to me. He's such a romantic. See, it's still got a bit of glow left in it here.

Remember that old song - "Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, save it for a rainy day"

Pssst. Don't look now but, someone is watching us.

Hubby complained about coming but he ended up thanking me for kidnapping him. As you can see, he felt very relaxed after spending time in such a beautiful setting. He says he wants to make our yard look just as beautiful. I doubt his enthusiam will hold out when he realizes that will require physical labor on his part, but it's a nice idea.

A few shoe tree photos over on Laume's Studio today.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have never walked a labyrinth! AND I have used that locater and there is one in my neighborhood. An artist I do the studio tour with paints labyrinths and has a portable one that he lays down in his yard. Somehow I would rather try one like you walk...a real, substantial work.

Columbines....the Colorado state flower, so beautiful!

SUCH good luck to catch the fallen star and put it in your pocket!!

lovely post, I'm with you hubby, lying on the ground there looks pretty perfect!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Lea said...

Hello Laume, it is good to meet you too! I loved hearing from you and have so enjoyed my walk in the park with you and your hubby!

So glad to see that the labyrinth is being used, labyrinths love to be walked, and that you shared it with us! Did you know that this is one of my designs? It's the same one that is in our backyard, the Santa Rosa. So you have a little bit of Sonoma County to greet you every time you visit it!

May that star in your pocket bring you much joy!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I love the fallen star and the tree eye! :-)

5:10 AM  
Blogger Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Labyrinths are the best, I'm glad you had one near you to walk at such a stressful time.

10:43 AM  
Blogger MsT said...

All the years I lived in Sedona, I never visited the ones there - but thanks to your labyrinth finder, there is one at a retreat center not very far from where I live. Will let you know when I visit.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home