Saturday, March 21, 2009

Good Ol' Buck

Spring 1995 - Spring 2009

IMG_2668

Buck

102_5770.JPG

He was practically deaf. His eyes got cloudier. No matter what I encouraged him to eat, he couldn't keep any meat on his bones. More and more his back legs would wobble. He loved his walks but he couldn't make it to the end of the block anymore. He loved to ride in the car but he couldn't climb up onto the seat without help. Even though I would have gladly looked the other way so he could have slept on the low couch in the living room, he wanted to sleep on the hardwood floor right by my side. He loved his kitties, he loved us all. He wasn't perfect but I've never met a dog who was more gentle and more anxious to please.

I figured if we could just get him through this cold, cold winter, we could enjoy one more summer. We could lounge in the grass in the shade of the front maple. I could pretend I don't notice when he nibbled his favorite herbs in the garden.

And then, on the first day of spring, he just curled up for a nap and never woke up.

His absence is a big echoing space.

He was a good old dog.

3 Comments:

Blogger GreenishLady said...

Oh, Laume, I'm so sorry for your loss. This is such a lovely tribute to Ol' Buck. There must be something about the turn in the seasons. I lost my Trixie at the autumn equinox. Hope your heart will find healing.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your loss. You've written such a nice tribute to Buck. I especially like the picture where Buck is giving you a big ole' kiss! I,too, hope your heart will find healing and peace.

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laume, we're never ready for when our furchildren leave us, are we? I hope you can take comfort in that his passing was so peaceful

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home