Friday, October 16, 2009

Happy Birthday Well Celebrated

We've been celebrating Hubby's birthday all week here. Really, just an excuse to eat out every day. Hubby choosing the spots. We ended up at the pub several times.


IMG_9730 by you.

I walked there, it's not very far, hardly worth turning the key in the car. Plus, I get to enjoy all this beautiful foliage up close, above me, and more and more, underfoot.


IMG_9732 by you.

The Hounds of the Baskervilles! Nope, just kidding. (although, note to self: add this book to your To Read list) Just Hubby in his new deerstalker hat, petting a wandering dog, and waiting for me in front of the pub . He's also wearing his new woolly sweater that I bought for $3!!! (Hubby, that is, not the dog.) Hubby was waiting for me because he prefers to travel by vehicle. Something along the lines of "If God didn't want us to travel by car he wouldn't have created Goodyear."


IMG_9735 by you.

Here he is looking reflective. Since he's looking at the bar across the room, I think he's reflecting on how good his ale will taste once the waitress brings it to the table.


IMG_9747 by you.

Speaking of the bar, I love these Bloody Mary glasses they have there. (Ha! I snuck in something Spooky! Besides the whole Hubby turning old spooky bit I mean)

IMG_9745 by you.

Just outside our window, this car pulled up and what looked like a mom and two teens, or perhaps very young adults, got out and walked down the street to destinations unknown. I was admiring the car and, although you can't really see them well, the people themselves, who were... not Goths.... they were just dressed in fun, artsy, colorful outfits that clearly weren't meant conform to anyone elses idea of fashion. They looked fabulous.

Although you would never have called me a pushover to the demands of society at large, it hasn't been until the last decade that I've shed the last remnants of "what will people think"-isms. These days, I don't give a flying fig what other people will think. Life's too short. But I remember that feeling.

It made me feel a little bittersweet, seeing those young folk embracing their own uniqueness. And it makes me wonder why my own kids aren't more free spirits? I'm proud of my kids for many, many reasons, but sometimes I wish the boys would "loosen up". Patience. I must have patience.


IMG_9754 by you.

Here's the car with the door shut. It's so cute. (And it makes me think of Harry Dresden's Blue Beetle)

IMG_9741 by you.

Still, we're not so bad for a couple of old folk. (Pssst. Hubby is older than me. In fact, for now he's a whole extra year older!)


IMG_9790 by you.

Just 'cuz you guys love food, here's a pic of one of my yummy meals. They call this plate Tilapia Vera-Cruz.

IMG_9789 by you.

And Hubby's choice, aflame with just a tiny percentage of his real candle capacity. A cornish pastie (half was beef and veggies, half was apple), gravy, and salad. Let's all sing - "Happy Birthday to youuuuuu, Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuu, Happy Birthday Dear Huuuuu- beeeeee!, Happy Birthday tooooooooooooooooooooo youuuuu!"

2 Comments:

Blogger Connie Carpenter Macko said...

first tell hubby habby birthday from your loyal readers!

second - thanks for using the term "flying fig"... thought I was the only one who did!

enjoy the rest of the week!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You make a lovely couple! and what a lovely little downtown. That's the way to celebrate a birthday...all week long!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home