Saturday, October 03, 2009

Post Game and Post Apocalypse

IMG_9412 by you.

Last night was the Homecoming football game. So cold! We started the season playing teams in the valley wearing tank tops and flip flops. Last night called for jackets, hats, and gloves! And blankets! But it was a fun night. Here's a photo of the Senior Class float. They were having a bit of an issue with their temple falling - those two kids in the black outfits were actually holding it up for the duration of the skit. LOL. Still, it was pretty funny. The toga wearing students were appealing to their god (who just happened to have the same name as the head football coach) and were rewarded by following his advice and, big surprise, defeating the marauders. What I liked the best was that they even had a Greek Chorus as part of the scene. Pretty high brow for this neck of the woods! Each class did a float and the skits were all really well thought out and executed.


IMG_9433 by you.

William had a very good game both on the field and, well, on the field again here in this photo. He was a senior prince on the homecoming court. Notice the princess on his arm is all decked out in sparkly royal attire, while he's just off the field during half time, covered in dirt, sweat, and grass.

IMG_9442 by you.

We ended up defeating the other team 61-8. Yep, it was a very good night for William!


http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/the-road-movie-tie-in-edition.jpg

I just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I'd never even heard of the book but it was our book club choice for this month. Wow, amazing book. But it's the story of a father and son in a post apocalyptic world and, uhm, let's just say, it's not a cheerful book. I'm not sure how you go about recommending this book to someone. "You know Jim, you seem awfully happy lately. I know just the thing to take your mood down a peg or two. Here, read this book." Am I glad I read it? Yes. But I think I'm gonna need a few lighthearted reads to balance this one.

It's coming out as a movie in November. I don't know if I want to see it on the big screen, but I'll have to see it eventually, to see how much they tweak it for the movie viewer.




Speaking of movies, this more humorous take on a post apocalyptic world came out in theatres yesterday, including our local one. Maybe I'll catch the matinee this weekend. Zombies - and you thought I wasn't gonna fit anything spooky into this post, didn'tja?

2 Comments:

Blogger Connie Carpenter Macko said...

yes. on the road. it was KIND OF up lifting though? all that devotion? someday we'll have to speak of whether you thought the ending was realistic... I was right there with them the whole time and then - the suspension of disbelief went right down the road in a shopping cart with bad wheels... and I am SO READY for Zombie land!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Congrats to William, that is really great fun, I liked the last picture of him with the light above his head.
I found The Road to be absolutely devastating as well as very moving, and a really well-written book. I am going to see the movie version, but just because Viggo is in it.

Zombieland was great according to my teen, very gory and silly, funnier than "Shaun of the Dead", I was still flu-recuperating so I didn't go see it.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home