Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tuesday's Child is Full of Grace

Sam and Ashley called me a few hours before dawn on Tuesday. Labor? Maybe, maybe not? I'd stayed up late, then they called, then a cat barfed on the bed, Hubby came home from work, and another phone call. With about an hour and a half of sleep, a full mug of coffee, and much excitement, I drove the two hours to Redding to help welcome a new grandchild into the world.

They wanted me to meet them at the Sundial Bridge, set in a beautiful botanical gardens on the river, but when I arrived it started to rain in earnest, so we had to settle for a more mundane walking location, the local mall. Behind Ashley and Sam are Ashley's mom and sister, also at the birth.

Eventually we stopped by their doctor's office in late afternoon so Ashley's progress could be checked. Ashley was 4 cm and he said we could go right on up to the hospital. Instead we went back home where Ashley spent some time in the bathtub and then climbed into this very attractive (NOT) tee shirt. I thought the saying "Get Finished" was quite appropriate though, I'm sure she thought that with each contraction.

The birthing ball they bought came in quite handy. As extra seating.

We all ate and hung out with the dog and waited for the contractions to get more intense. Eventually the hospital called. "Uhm, hellooooo, where ARE you guys!?" So we went.

And Ashley changed into another stunning fashion statement.

Things moved along very quickly. We were only at the hospital for a few hours before it was time for Ashley to push. Sam and Ashley were a poster couple for labor. Sam was the best coach I've ever seen!

They used no drugs, no epidural. The nurse said 90% of their parents use them. It continues to shock me at how upside down the childbirth statistics have become. Modern medicine is amazing and lifesaving and I'm all for it. But not just for convenience and liability and so mommy can watch her favorite television show when she is going through transition. Why would you want to minimize and miss the most amazing experience one is likely to experience in this life? Sorry, I just don't get it. (I'll be good, I won't bore you here by also launching into a lecture about all the physical and psychological benefits of the unmedicated birth.)

So, moving on...

At 5:32 pm, into the light popped a very fuzzy topped baby girl!

Her first bath that night.

She was digging it.

Grammy and photographer needed a turn holding the new baby.

She looks a bit beat up in this photo, but it's just the eye drops they put in her eyes.

It was a long, but beautiful day.

What? I didn't tell you her name? That's because they didn't name her on the first day. We had to wait until the next day to find out, so I'll make you wait until the next post. (I know, some of you already know, oh well)


Blogger mermaiden said...

beautiful story, beautiful child. congrats to grammy and family!
i'm with you on the unmedicated birthing. had all 3 of my sons with no pain meds (though i had to have pit twice). They made it through, safe and healthy (10.5, 10, 10.7 lbs respectively). I can no longer laugh without wetting my pants, however.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous shari said...

congratulations!!! she is sooo beautiful!! the whole process is such a miracle and so moving, you can never get over it!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous shari said...

p.s i can't wait to see her in faerie wings!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Julie ZS said...

Lovely birthing story Laume, thanks for sharing it. I'm glad they all came through so well. She's gorgeous, all that hair, wowser!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

She is so beautiful! How wonderful that they wanted you to be there with them for the whole experience!

I hope I get a grandbaby...someday :)


7:31 AM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

beUUUUtiful!The little bubble photo is too sweet. Congratulations!!

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home