Saturday, March 24, 2007

Bookshelf Meme

Laura has challenged EVERYONE to a Bookshelf Meme! I don't think she seriously means EVERYONE in the world. For one thing, not everyone in the world has a computer. Then there's the whole babies and the infirmed thing. Different languages.... I don't even think she means EVERYONE on the internet, really. But she did mention me by name, so I know I'm included in her somewhat vague, infinity tinted category of people. And she also wanted EVERYONE to include all those people who ANYONE (in this particular case that would be me) mentioned it to so that now means YOU. So, please consider yourself tagged. And then let me know so I can come to your blog, turn my head sideways, and read your book titles. And you might want to make sure you go to Laura's blog first, to see that I'm not really following the rules and you might like her rules better.

Okay. Now. Why am I rebelling and making my own rules? First, we have the equivalent of about a dozen floor to ceiling bookcases full of books in this house. And all our books are categorized. I'd hate to just show you one bookshelf and you get the idea I do nothing but sit around reading dictionaries and thesauruses (thesaurusi?) all day. Or only philosophy. Or... well, you get it. The logical thing to do would be to show you the shelves which hold most of my fiction books, but those are currently in an almost impossible to squeeze into much less photograph set of shelves behind the entertainment center.

Secondly, my bookshelves are currently in a state of transition. (read that in part to mean "a mess") But no, really. Some shelves are going to be removed, others moved around. In part to get my fiction books out of what turned out to be a bad place to shelve them.

Third, there's abso-friggin-no-way I'm gonna type out the names of all those books! It's almost 3 am in the dark wee hours. And I have to do all the packing for our trip tomorrow. And somehow convince myself to get to bed early enough to drive all day on Sunday. And... whine.... whine....whine... it's too much work!

I do adore looking at people's bookshelves though. And their knick knacks. And their refrigerator magnets. And desk mess. And photographs. I completely understand the appeal of this meme. So, here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna simply post MORE bits of bookcases. So if you can't read all the titles, you can just find more titles in the next photo. You'll have so many titles to read that you'll end up with a stiff neck if you try to read them all! I think though, if you click on the photos to enlarge them, you can make them big enough to read the bulk of them. (in fact, clicking on the photos is the only way you're gonna be able to read the titles)

Okay. Here goes. Oh, man. This takes bravery. They are such. a. mess. I can't believe I'm doing this. I mean, ignore the cobwebs. Damn. I think I should get some of those chocolate orange candies that I forgot to enter the drawing for just for exposing my cobwebs to public ridicule. I mean, I work so hard all year to make them look authentic and real and all. But since I'm not done "designing" them yet, I know you can tell they're just fake plastic. Sigh. It's embarrassing. Nevermind. I just lost my image as Miss Suzy Homemaker. Sigh.

Here ya go. I'll close my eyes while you look....


By the way, those little chairs used to be all nice and organized. Until evil cats knocked them down so many times I got sick and tired of picking them up and now when I find them on the floor I just toss them back on the shelf willy nilly.




If you really can't make something out, just ask me about it in the comments and I'll try to respond in the comments whenever I'm not busy entertaining my granddaughter. I mean, it's amazing, they've got this internet thing all the way down there in San Dee-Aye-Go!

14 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

That was fun! :-)
But why the heck do you have a copy of "Gray's Anatomy??"

I'm posting a version of this meme either tomorrow or Monday, depending on when I get my act together to get the photos uploaded and resized.

8:10 AM  
Blogger amy said...

you've given me quite a bit to squint at over the next few days!!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

doesn't everyone have a copy of that? actually, i don't have THAT, but i DO have the brain coloring book and the neurology of a sheep brain.

we don't have all of our bookshelves up...the ones we do have up are filled with children's books. or photo albums. the bookshelves in the garage have my books and rob's books, but, again, not all of them.

i've been lucky enough to see laume's bookshelves in person!!

enjoy san diego, laume :)

9:42 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

oh -- the THAT was in reference to deb's question re: gray's anatomy

9:43 AM  
Blogger Blame It on Paris said...

Yay! Lots of great bookshelves to squint at. They remind me of the bookshelves in my family (mom's) home, actually. Years of eclectic interests filling the shelves!

I like the little gnome, too. :)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Blame It on Paris said...

And have a great trip! Thanks for playing.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Laume said...

I'll have you know I passed Anatomy (and Physiology and Chemistry and Organic Chemistry and Microbiology and a lot more classes with fancy sounding names) with flying colors. In fact I had a 4.0 college GPA. So, although I may be a scatterbrain at times, when I can find bits of my gray matter, it is of excellent quality! And that's why I have Gray's Anatomy.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Laume said...

My little gnome is supposed to have a little wife gnome standing beside her. Hmmm. I wonder where she went? Off traveling I suppose, as gnomes are wont to do. I just realized that my gnome is, in fact, standing in front of the travel guides - that was NOT a conscious decision. Ha! (You have seen the movie Amelíe, oiu?)

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but is the Gnome traveling with Penzey's Tellicherry Pepper for any particular reason? I think you mentioned you needed more pepper, maybe you just need to borrow some from the GNOME?

6:06 PM  
Blogger jessielavon@yahoo.com said...

I bet if you do a yard sell on one of your blogs,cards,beads ,buttons anything we can use on altered art we would come.start blogging about it a week befor and if you will let me know I will pass the word around.artist are always looking for great items to use,also make up a bag of goodie like mengtion befor and do a drawing,have folks leave comments and you draw a name.BUT LET ME KNOW IF YOU WONT TO SO I CAN PASS THE WORD AROUND.HOLLOR BACK AT ME DARLING.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Laume said...

Mr.Gnome isn't traveling with Dr. Pepper. He used to live happily with his wife Dr. Salt (a very smart couple) on the end table below next to where I usually sit for dinner. I dropped him and cracked his lid and then I eventually lost the lid entirely and the grandsons kept wandering over, picking him up, and shaking Dr. P's insides out all over the sofa. I put him up there on the bookcase for his own protection.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Laume said...

"little wife gnome standing beside HIM" it's supposed to say. Sheesh. And there she is, just a little ways down the shelf. I didn't see her there.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Blame It on Paris said...

He does look very cozy with that pepper, I have to say. I didn't spot Mrs. Gnome the first time! Didn't notice I should be using my scroll buttons to see all the picture.

I love that he's in front of the travel books. OF COURSE I've seen Amélie, one of my favorite movies.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted my bookshelves and stacks on my blog, too! Most of my books are packed away in boxes. I didn't even think to take pics of the kids' shelves. Maddy's are all manga and graphic novels. Here's the link to mine: http://indigoluna.typepad.com/indigo_luna/2007/03/whats_on_your_b.html

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home