Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Life Lag

If you travel from time zone to time zone, you get jet leg. If you travel from situation to situation, I think you get Life Lag. And even though I traveled within the same time zone, I traveled from snow boots and fir trees to flip flops and palm trees, and back again. I went from this:


(Click on this photo so you can see William's face better, and check out how thrilled he was to be at this botanical garden.)....to this:

So it felt like I was in another world altogether. I also went from one focus to another, from my life to my kids' lives, from my schedule to their schedules. I was gone for ten days, but it felt more like a month.

And the trip there and back were adventures in and of themselves. Especially the trip back where we managed to hit almost blizzard snow on the grapevine, hail so thick in Modesto they had to plow the roads, and slushy muddy snow in slow bumper to bumper traffic over the Sierras. Check out what it did to my car!


And if you want to see more photos, lots more photos, you can go here. Click on the album titled San Diego Trip. Grab a cup of coffee first - there's 87 pictures, and that was only slightly over half of what I took on the trip. Everything from the baby shower, Hollywood, beach, Balboa Park... to family and pets. A little bit of everything from the last week and a half. I had to put them all up there because Deirdre was whining so loudly for photos. This should keep her busy for awhile.

Now I'm back and everything looks weird to me. I was gone long enough to acclimate to different geography, different houses, different everything. Last night I couldn't remember how my computer worked, how my television worked, where I kept things. Of course, I was pretty tired, so I don't really think my brain was working at more then about 10%, so that accounts for some of that. I'm already adapting again but it was weird to see my own life from a different perspective. One can't really see oneself from the outside looking in, but it felt a teensy bit like that.

Mainly, I can see my CLUTTER. I came home, looked around, and immediately wanted to clean. Honestly, I immediately wanted to walk back out and drive to a nice clean motel. But since that would have only been putting off the inevitable, my next thought was that I wanted to clean. When I was in San Diego, all I wanted to do was come home and CREATE. I had a real art buzz going. Now I just want to toss, scrub, box up, give away, and otherwise organize my life. It's not like I didn't want to do those things before I left, I just want to do them more urgently now. Unfortunately I came home and all I could do the rest of yesterday was lay on the couch and try not to fall asleep before my husband made it home from work.

But today is a new day and a good day to get started. Unfortunately the first layer of work will be the unpacking and laundry the trip itself generated. I want to work fast though, so I can get back to that CREATE mood before it completely dissipates. I'm gonna go put on another pot of coffee and GET TO WORK!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that William is gonna be a heartbreaker if he isn't already one. :-) He looks so much like you and also like your other boys. It seems like just yesterday he was Dylan's age (who turns 10 tomorrow). Dylan is growing his hair out and it is a curly, messy mop. How do you get a boy to take care of his hair?????

Is that your step-daughter who was having the baby shower? Is she pregnant again? Just curious. :-) Joe didn't look like he felt too great in the pictures--I hope his back is doing better soon.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home