Saturday, July 07, 2007

Ratatouille

In search of some place air conditioned to spend some time in, I went to the movies Thursday night and saw Ratatouille. I picked it because I figured a children's movie at least would be amusing and because I'd been hearing some adults say good things about it. I wen expecting it to at least not suck and even if it did, I'd be someplace cool and my body temperature could go down a few degrees.

It turns out I thought it totally did not suck! In fact, I loved this movie! (and I happen to love the dish it's named after as well) Enough to want to encourage you all to go see it, with or without children. Because, if you're like me, you might have missed it if you didn't have anyone under the age of ten to justify choosing a children's movie.

I read one negative review that said it was too wordy and not enough action. I think that's exactly what I found worthy about it. I went to see Pirates 3 a few months ago and while it was entertaining, I also felt like I was being held in my seat by a bit of trickery - I wanted to see the ending (if indeed it had an ending this time around) and I liked the characters. It didn't have much of a plot and I wondered about two thirds of the way through it I got too bored with the special effects, when could I just say enough is enough and leave?

Ratatouille on the other hand had a plot, real dialogue instead of a series of one liners, and plenty of endearing characters. I can't see where it didn't have enough action. There were a number of madcap scenes. They just didn't take over the movie, that's all. The movie was sophisticated enough for adults to enjoy but still not too adult for kids. There wasn't anything said "over their heads" that I could see anyone objecting too but it wasn't watered down or sugared so that adults would find it unrealistic. Well, the dialogue unrealistic - the whole premise of the movie is pretty unrealistic - a rat who wants to be a French chef. I wasn't too sure how I'd handle that one but I found I had easily suspended my disbelief early on.

And don't wait for it to come out on video either. It's worth the big screen experience. When the main character goes scrambling up to the rooftop and you see the City of Lights spread out in front of him for the first time, it's as if you're really truly in Paris. I found myself noticing and enjoying the animation many times throughout the film.

So, enough talking. Go to a matinee today. Buy the popcorn. And Bon Appetit!

2 Comments:

Blogger Blame It on Paris said...

Yes, what a beautiful film. And the animation was wonderful! The Seine at night, Notre Dame...all the FOOD. It was really a chef d'oeuvre. My Parisian animator agrees. :) We really loved it, in fact were quite blown away.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Miss Elena said...

My mom made the dish for us last night.

It was awesome!

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home