Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Movie Quote Game

Saw this over on Deb's blog right before I was gonna get off the computer and do something useful and practical. Instead I played the game. Which was a lot of fun actually, but, uh, yeah, thanks for helping me get my housework done Deb!

Rules:

* Pick fifteen of your favorite movies.
* Go to IMDB and find a quote from each movie.
* Post them on your blog for everyone to guess.
* Fill in the film title once it’s guessed.

This part is for the reader:

* No Googling or using IMDB search functions.
* Leave your answer(s) in the comments.

Okay, ready? Set? Play!

1. "Louis L'amour, who, by the way, was not a foreigner! He was from North Dakota, you asshole!"

I can't believe no one has guessed this one yet. I'll add a clue. Right after saying this the character takes a big swig of tequila.

Whew - finally someone who knows one of my favorite movies - Dragonfly guessed this one - Practical Magic.

2. "I already know an awful lot of people and until one of them dies I couldn't possibly meet anyone else."

"Well, if anyone goes on the critical list, let me know."

Clue: This is from a very old movie.

3. "You mean she would rather imagine herself relating to an absent person than build relationships with those around her?"

This is probably my hardest quote. Clue: The character is talking about a person in a painting.

4. "Thank you, Madame, for that fascinating lesson in our cultural differences."

Clue: Imagine this line with a French accent.

5. "I'm just like every modern woman trying to have it all. A loving husband, a family. I only wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."

Geeze, how many characters would be seeking out dark forces!? Well, okay, maybe there's a lot of strange movies out there. Okay, for a clue, I'll add another line by a different character in the same movie.

"Be afraid. Be very afraid."

6. " Why don't you kiss her instead of talking her to death?"

"You want me to kiss her, huh? "

"Ah, youth is wasted on the wrong people."

Yah Deb! You nailed it - It's a Wonderful Life! The guy on the porch, listening in on their conversation, yells it to George Bailey.

7. "Filigree, apogee, pedigree, perigee!"

Finally, someone got this one. I thought this was one of the easier ones. Thanks sister, Lisa knew this was from Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

8. "Didn't you see Fatal Attraction?"

"You wouldn't let me!"

"Well I saw it and it scared the shit out of me. It scared the shit out of every man in America."

Kristen got this one - Sleepless in Seattle. Sam yells it at Jonah.

9. "I just want you to know no matter what you do, you're gonna die, just like everybody else."

"Thank you, Rose."

This is probably another hard one. I'll give you two more lines from the same character but from different scenes.

"Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I'm gonna kick ya til ya dead!"

"No, I think the house is empty. I can't invite you in because I'm married and because I know who I am."

Right you are Kristen - Moonstruck.

10. "Dammit man, the Doobie Brothers broke up! Shit! When did that happen?"

Jan guessed the characters but wrong movie, Deb finished up by knowing the right movie - Michael Douglas in Romancing the Stone.

11. "What kind of a place is this?"

"Oh, it's probably some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos."

Cult classic folks. Some people can quote this entire movie!

Yep Deb - Rocky Horror Picture Show. Brad and Janet.

12. "This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode."

JulieR must be a Firefly fan. She knew this was from the wrap up movie, Serenity. Said by the Captain over the spaceship intercom.

13. "Now if you two don't mind, I'm going to bed before either of you can come up with another clever idea to get us all killed - or worse, expelled."

JulieZ was the first to guess this one right - although Kristen followed shortly after with a half right answer (mumble, mumble). Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - Hermione says this to Ron and Harry on the staircase after a narrow escape.

14. "Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday, and you're not feelin' real well, does anyone ever say to you, 'Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays'?"

"No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man."

Kristen accidentally said #15, but I'm gonna assume she meant #14 and got this one right. Office Space. Michael asks his neighbor this line.

15. " Maybe you should put some shorts on or something, if you want to keep fighting evil today."

Clue: This line is being said to a naked man.

Remember, leave your guesses in the comments. Winners receive.... the thrill of being the winner. And if you play the game, let me know and I'll come try to guess your quotes too. After all, I have more chores that need avoiding.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We should do the "KNOW A GAL BY HER SHOES" game! What cute pictures.
Terri

10:06 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

First of all, you're welcome! :-)

Second of all, you totally got payback because I'm reading this just as I absolutely NEED to get off here and get ready for work! Gaaahhh!!

I'll have to stop back by later and see what hasn't been guessed yet because a BUNCH of these are things I know I've seen and are niggling at the edges of my brain but I just can't quite pull them out yet.

I think #1 might be from A Fish Called Wanda. #6 is from It's a Wonderful Life. Is #7 from Practical Magic?? I'm not at all sure about that one, but it sounds like it should be part of a spell and I know you love that movie. :-)

Gotta go now! ACK!

3:46 AM  
Blogger Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

ooh, I *almost* know a bunch of them, but only have these answers...#12 is from Serenity.

#13 Is from Harry Potter and the Sorcer's Stone, it is said by Hermione to Ron and Harry.

Is 9 Titanic?

9:02 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

#7 Harry Potter and (mumble mumble mumble)

#8 Sleepless in Seattle (love that line)

#13 Harry Potter and (mumble mumble mumble)

#15 Office Space! PC LOADLETTER!?! WHAT THE FUCK IS PC LOADLETTER?!?

9:38 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Crap! #12 is one I remembered after I got to work today and Julie already answered it before I could get home. That was one of several that was niggling at my brain.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Laume said...

No, #7 is not Practical Magic or Harry Potter. Gee, I thought this one was one of the easier ones!

#1 is not from A Fish Called Wanda (although it sounds like it could be, yes?) Again, I thought this was one of my giveaway ones.

And no quotes from The Titanic which, believe it or not, I've NEVER seen. I have a copy of it. Haven't seen it. Although I do have several CD's from a band that played in the movie - Gaelic Storm.

I think probably #3 is probably my hardest one. That's one of those that didn't have the quotes I would have used on IMDB.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I'm still thinking about these and #4 and #10 are driving me CRAZY. I can actually hear the voices in my head (no comments, now!) saying those lines and STILL can't quite pull out of my head where they come from! Aaarrrggghhh!! I'm going to be so mad at myself when someone guesses them before me, or you tell the answers!

For #7, how about "Hocus Pocus" or "Bell, Book, and Candle"?? I still think it sounds like part of a spell!

I'm going to take my book and go to bed now. Sigh...

6:01 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

#10 Jewel of the Nile? I know it is Michael Douglass in the plane remains saying it to Kathleen Turner.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Crap, Jan just made it click for me. She's exactly right about who and where,just not which movie. It's Romancing the Stone. Sigh...

3:35 AM  
Blogger Connie Carpenter Macko said...

(please don't let me embarass myself TOO badly!!)

#1: Napolean Dynomite?
#2: As good as it gets?
#9: In her shoes?
#3: Terms of Endearment? (I'm hearing Jack Nicholson a lot in my head apparently!)

Am I at least CLOSE on ONE!?

6:23 PM  
Blogger Connie Carpenter Macko said...

sigh..... forget I posted! looked 'em up myself... I sure do invent a lot of dialogue!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Laume said...

Don't feel too badly Connie, I guessed the wrong titles on some other people's lists too - it seems like it should be easy but it's not! Argh!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Ok, I think your clue just tipped me over the edge I needed to get #11. Is it the Rocky Horror Picture Show?

3:30 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

9) MOONSTRUCK
once you put the other quotes on there, i couldn't believe i hadn't gotten it from the first.

and debR got there before me on Rocky Horror Picture Show.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Dragonfly said...

#1 is Practical Magic. :)

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home