Monday, March 17, 2008

Movie Quotes Game - The Easy Version

Okay, I don't want people to stop guessing my first version because I think they're all guessable. BUT, I'm really surprised they aren't easier. So, I made up a new quiz, this time I deliberately chose quotes I thought were COMPLETELY OBVIOUS. Maybe they're only obvious to me because I already know the movies they come from. Let's see. Give these a try.

1. "You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha..."

Kristen was the first one to know this from The Princess Bride.

2. "What makes you think she's a witch?"

"Well, she turned me into a newt!"

"A newt?"

"... I got better."

Yeah Julie! Monty Python and the Holy Grail. We quote from this movie more than probably any other film.

3. "A gun rack... a gun rack. I don't even own *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do... with a gun rack?"

Clue: the actor who who says this line was at one time a Saturday Night Live regular. William not only knew this movie immediately, he could also continue reciting the entire scene!

4. "But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?"

"No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!"

"The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true."

Clue: This one is from a really, really, really old movie. I know some of you have seen it, but probably you folks are really, really, really old too.

5. "Mongo only pawn... in game of life."

Lisa got this one - Blazing Saddles. (P.S. Lisa's got her own list up and I could only guess one of them!)

6. "There's no way, no WAY, that you came from my loins."

Clue: another line by the same character.

"Soon as I get home, the first thing I'm gonna do is punch your momma in the mouth."

Dragonfly knew this great classic (in the great fun sense, not in the great literature sense) Smokey and the Bandit.

7. "By Grabthar's hammer, by the sons of Worvan, you shall be avenged. "

Right again Kristen - Galaxy Quest.

8. " Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?"

Jan got this one even though I had to take out the first part of the quote where the character yells out the names, for obvious reasons - Dances with Wolves.

9. "I'm like cat here, a no-name slob. We belong to nobody, and nobody belongs to us. We don't even belong to each other. "

Clue: The cat has no name. The character who says this line has a very memorable name.

Yah Deb! The movie - Breakfast at Tiffany's. The character - Holly Golightly.

10. "I'm 26, and I'm single, and a school teacher, and that's the bottom of the pit. And the only excitement I've known is here with me now. I'll go with you, and I won't whine, and I'll sew you socks, and I'll stitch you when you're wounded, and I'll do anything you ask of me except one thing. I won't watch you die. I'll miss that scene if you don't mind. "

My sister must be old like me, she got this old one - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

11. "Arquillian battle rules, kid: first we get an ultimatum, then a warning shot, then we have a galactic standard week to respond."

"A galactic standard week? How the hell long is that?"

"One hour"

Kristen rocks - of course this is Men in Black.


12. "She's not my girlfriend. I find her interesting because she's a client and because she sleeps above her covers... *four feet* above her covers."

I guess it's obvious Kristen knows her fantasy and sci-fi flics - Ghostbusters.

13. "Because we're supposed to be in school."

"We're supposed to be at home, David. We're supposed to be in color! "

Kristen was almost there but Lisa managed to get the right title - Pleasantville.

14. "Paris is always a good idea."

Am I the only person who loves this movie!? Clue: there are two versions of this movie. This quote is from my favorite version, which is four decades more recent than the first one.

15. "And last week I saw Cameron Diaz at Fred Segal, and I talked her out of buying this truly heinous angora sweater. Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed."

Sister Lisa (not to be confused with daughter-in-law Lisa) got this one too - who else but Elle in Legally Blonde would have so much to say about fashion.

11 Comments:

Blogger Belita Rose said...

Number 5 is blazing saddles

8:19 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

1) Princess Bride
5) Blazing Saddles
#4 is one of those RIGHT ON THE EDGE OF MY BRAIN ones...::runs to cheat:: ARGH! OF COURSE!!!
7) Galaxy Quest, i think
11) Men in Black
12) Ghostbusters
13 - i was going to say Ferris Bueller's Day Off - but i don't remember a David...____ville ack - what movie was that? wonderfulville? somethingorotherville

8:55 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

#1 Princess Bride
#8 Dances with Wolves
I guess that's all. I left a comment on yesterdays blog too, just now.
Fun! even though I didn't do very well.
Jan

9:39 PM  
Blogger Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

ooh more groovy movie fun!
#1 Princess Bride
#2 Monty Python and the Holy Grail#5 Blazing Saddles
#11 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
#12 Ghostbusters.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Belita Rose said...

I think number 13 is Pleasantville!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Laume said...

I don't know how to leave comments on your blog* but I wanted to guess.
I knew the Harry Potter one but a bit too late. My other guesses are as
follows.
Old list
7- Bedknobs and Broomsticks
9- Titanic
New List
10 - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
11 - The last starfighter
12 - Ghostbusters
13 - Pleasantville
15 - Legally Blonde

*This isn't me, this is my sister. I mean, she sent me this as an e-mail and I'm reposting it here in the comments. I just want to add that my sister, my BABY sister, is a college professor and veterinarian with enough specialty degrees that she's got an entire alphabet worth of letters strung after her name and yet, just for the record, she can't figure out how to leave a message on my blog. Whew - it's nice to know I can still trump her on something!

And speaking of trumping, she's one of the only people who can kick my ass in cards too because we grew playing against each other and she knows all my strategies. She didn't do too badly on this guessing game either.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm not a movie buff, but I do know Princess Bride! The only movie I can quote. And the rest of the quotes are so good, I'll have to go watch those movies now. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my French book list! Thank you for your suggestions!!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Dammit, I didn't see these until too late and every single one I knew had already been named. ArgleBargle!!!

For the record, I knew The Princess Bride, Ghostbusters, Pleasantville, and Legally Blonde.

A couple of the others that haven't been guessed yet are so familiar they're driving me nuts (like #4!!) but I can't quite get them.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

PS...I'm going to post another round on my blog too, it'll probably be Thurs. or Fri.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

OhOh, one of your clues tipped me over on this one too! #9 is from Breakfast at Tiffany's! (And a big DUH for me for not getting that one sooner!!)

#4 is still driving me CRAZY. I can HEAR that scene in my head and still can't quite get what movie it's from!

3:37 AM  
Blogger Dragonfly said...

Hey, I know #6 - it's Smokey & The Bandit!!

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home