Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Sookie Stackhouse Moment

The other day I told you I'd tell you about my "Sookie Stackhouse" moment. I'll say no more to explain that and let the story speak for itself.

About a week ago, headed out of town for a football game, I went through the local Burger King drive-thru window for a veggie burger and iced coffee for the road. The girl at the window convinced me it would be cheaper to order it as a meal (it wasn't) and since I don't like their french fries, I ordered the meal with onion rings. When I got my bag, I pulled around to the parking lot to set things up for the drive, only to discover they'd given me french fries. So, I went inside to fix my order.

I walked in and the only people there, except workers in the background, was a young woman behind the counter and a customer, a guy waiting for his order to come out. I walked up to the counter.

"Can I help you?" asked the counter woman.

"Yeah. I ordered onion rings, and they gave me french fries."

"No problem. What size was that onion rings supposed to be?"

"Just a small."

The counter woman yelled back my onion rings to the cook and then turned back around.

I started to pull my fries out of the bag and said "Do you need me to give you the French fries back?"

She waved her hand at me. "Keep'em"

"Oh. Well, I don't really like French fries."

The guy waiting for his meal was standing about two feet away and slightly behind me. He piped up. "I like French fries. You can give them to me."

Well, that's sort of a forward thing to say, but I assumed he was just teasing. This is a small town and folks are chatty. Still, I really didn't want the fries, so I finished taking them out of my bag and turned and handed them towards him. His eyes got big and confused.

"Here."

"What?!" He looked uncomfortable.

I laughed and said "You just said "I like French fries. You can give them to me."

"No I didn't."

"Yes you did. I know you were teasing but really, I don't want them."

He laughed nervously, looked at the woman behind the counter, who looked at me, and then back at him. He looked back at me and said "I didn't say that. I thought that, but I didn't say that." He looked back at the counter woman. "Did I say that outloud?"

She looked a bit wide eyed as well and she said "Nope. You didn't say a word!"

We all just stood there for a few seconds. We all laughed again, a bit nervously.

"Okay, that was sort of creepy" said counter woman.

"Definitely" said customer guy.

"Definitely." I agreed. "But still, if you want them, you can have them." I offered him the fries again.

He shrugged, took them, and said "Thanks."

My onion rings came up, I got some ketchup, and left.

My husband is always complaining I read his thoughts but y'know, I assume most wives can do that little trick. But a perfect stranger!? (Well, I don't know if he was perfect. He was a bit on the chubby side - maybe all those fries.) And I swear, I heard him clear and sharp in the air right next to me. So, if you watched the first episode of the new HBO series, there's a scene in Merlotte's where a young kid is complaining about being stuck in a small town, and Sookie answers him, only realizing that he had only been thinking it, not saying it outloud, when she sees the freaked out look on his face.

So, that's my Sookie moment. It's not that odd things haven't happened to me in the past, but I think this was one of the odder ones.

************

More psychic ability. I can read my cats' minds. "Hey, look, Mom just pulled up in the car." "Do we care?" "Yeah, she might feed us." "Oh yeah, we care." "Should we get up and greet her?" "Nah, we don't want to look too excited." "Oh right, we're cats." "Right." "But maintain eye contact." "Gotcha."

Oh, and if you want to see some gorgeous autumn and Halloween displays, check out the photos of my friend's shop I put up today on Laume's Studio.

1 Comments:

Blogger suesueb said...

that is really creepy! and yeah-those cats are something else!!

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home