Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's a New Day!

Hubby ordered this nifty Obama inauguration countdown keychain. The minute it arrived in the mail I "confiscated" it for my own use. I enjoyed watching the days, hours, and seconds zoom backwards each time I checked it. Then in midDecember I lost my keys. They stayed lost for about a month, until the snow melted and they lay wet and muddy on the re-exposed lawn. The numbers were gone. About three or four days later the keychain dried out enough to start working again. It had decided Obama would become president in 782 days and began counting down again, in it for the long haul. I tried to push buttons on the back of the keychain, to reset it, but it steadfastly insisted we had years to wait.

Fortunately the world didn't pay attention and the inauguration went off without a hitch this morning. (well, the actual oath taking itself was a bit jumbled, but hey, who's listening, eh?)

For those who know me well, you won't be surprised that I was still up at 4 a.m. this morning. I went to bed shortly after, setting the alarm for 8:30 PST. I didn't want to watch the moment after the fact. I wanted to watch it in real time, as it was happening. I wasn't sure if I'd be as determined a handful of hours later when the alarm went off but I popped out of bed, frightening hubby. I'd been laying there wondering if it was time, was it time, what time was it, peeking at the clock every five minutes for the last half hour already.




I'm not going to any of the many inaugural balls or parties, but I think I'll take the rest of the day to celebrate and relish the moment before, like the president himself, getting back to work tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

What a thrilling day! I'm so glad to finally get to take the bush countdown clock off my blog sidebar (grin). I'm glad your resurrected countdown clock was wrong!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Troop 1309 said...

We were glued to the tv this morning watching the coverage. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog. I have been in a funk lately. I need to get out of it, lol. Things have been really busy and finding me time isn't happening as often.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home