Sunday, January 11, 2009

The World Ain't Slowing Down

I got an e-mail from our cable company. Well, our NEW cable company. We used to be Time Warner and then they got bought out by Roadrunner. And now we've been purchased by someone else again. I just changed my e-mail address for the last merger and now I have to do it AGAIN!? Why can't these companies just STOP. I hate this. It eats up so much time. Maybe it's a symptom of getting older that I just want the world to slow down!

The other day I was wandering the DVD aisle at Walmart considering a new purchase or two (which I talked myself out of for a couple of reasons, more on the second reason tomorrow) and I suddenly thought of how futile it was because if I own a lot of DVD's, a few years down the line they'll probably all be outdated and we'll have to replace them with Blue Ray (which I don't even know what it is except it's supposed to have better clarity? Do you use a regular DVD player or do you have to buy something else?) so why bother. I'm a person that went from 45's to vinyl to cassettes (thank god I skipped 8-tracks completely!) to CD's to ipods. That last one my family has made the jump to, I'm still resisting.

I read an article the other day that said that in fact technology isn't slowing down, it's changing at an ever faster speed. Things become outdated more quickly every year. It's not like I want to go back to drums and quills (or even records and typewriters (and White Out - ugh)) again, but can't we spend a bit of time enjoying what we have before it's time to scrap it for the next best thing?

That reminds me of a favorite song of mine. Although in the song you could take either side, the feeling of being left behind or the excitement of running to catch up. Either way, it's a great son.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home