Thursday, January 15, 2009

California Dreaming

"all the leaves are brown
and the sky is grey
I've been for a walk
on a winter's day"
I have gone for a walk. Several walks in fact. Trying to walk most days. I've walked uptown to the pub to meet a friend for lunch, walked to the library, walked to my friend's shop, walked to the thrift store, walked to the restaurant to have my weekly date with Hubby yesterday (well, walked halfway there, it's clear across town).

It's been clear and sunny. The type of winter day that seems warm from inside. Even outside, in a jacket and scarf the sun feels warm on my face when I walk. But the minute the sun starts to set, still by late afternoon, the air turns cold enough to wish I'd brought a hat and gloves on my walks. With all the deep snow melted and the sun shining, I keep imagining spring as being right around the corner. Of course it isn't. It's still mid January and for all I know next week we could be knee deep in snow again.


No matter which way I walk from my house, it takes me over the river. Looking down at the water in deep winter shadow, a few scraps of snow left clinging to the rocks, I remember it's still winter.


On a walk home yesterday, the sunset was worth the cost of a cold nose and cheeks. Click on this photo to enlarge it - I like how the house and car lights look like little sparks fallen from the oranges and golds of the sky.


It deepened and intensified with every step I took. Quite a show last night.


Inside the house things are mostly warm what with my new robe (gotta remember to take a photo for you), quilts and blankets, hot tea, a working heater, and cuddly pets. Hubby's grey heather shirt acts as the perfect camouflage for Miranda. Every time I tried to take a photo, she tried to get up to see me though, this was the best shot I could get.

A few more pics of winter branches on Laume's Studio today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home