Sunday, October 17, 2010

October Garden

It's sort of spooky how the garden is still trying to flower and fruit, long after we usually have our first hard freeze.  We had such late hard frosts in the spring, perhaps Mother Nature is trying to make up for it by postponing the end of the season.  I would have taken better care of the garden if I'd known there was so much time left for her. 

 

The best crop of marigolds I think I've ever had.  Many grew from seed this year.  I'll certainly have flowers for our Dia de Los Muertos altar this year.

 

Cherry tomatoes.  There's still a few green ones out there, hopefully they'll turn red in time for the granddaughter's visit.  We haven't had a lot this year, just enough to pop a few in my mouth each time I went out to the garden.  But I wanted to gather these in just in case that frost shows up unexpectedly.  Also a bit of swiss chard I don't even remember planting.  The bugs had a go at it but they left me some to toss in a stir fry.  And just look at those awesome carrots!







I forgot I planted them too.  Well, I knew I'd tossed some carrot seed out there, but didn't realize I'd planted a carnival of colors!  There's more where this came from and they'll be just fine in the garden through a few frosts so I just picked enough for dinner tonight.

I know I've been absent from the blogging world for most of the summer.  I'm hoping to jump back into regular posting.  Knock on wood.  I hope there are a few folk out there that still wander by and notice I've actually put up a post!  Knock on wood again.

4 Comments:

Blogger E. Studnicka said...

What a great surprise to see that your forgotten carrots have mimicked the fall colors.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous kay ellen said...

Wow yummy veggies!!and marigolds:)
Enjoy your week!


xo
Kay Ellen

4:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are very lucky that you have a great crop of marigolds this year...I did not and had to go scrounge around city beds to gather marigolds :)

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Terri on Whidbey said...

Glad to see you back at the blogging... what beautiful flowers.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home