Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Here we go again!

It started about 3-4 hours ago. First a few fire trucks went by the house. So I went outside. Hmmmm, that cloud looks a bit different then the others..... it's smoke. Within a half hour, sitting outside in the front yard, we'd watched dozens more trucks and crews respond.

I took this photo about an hour ago from the other end of our street. We actually live much closer, about a block to the right of the large building you can see in this photo on the far right, which is about half the distance to the fire. If you click on the pic to open it larger, you can also see that first ridge of trees are mostly brown, not green - that's part of the ridge that burned a few weeks ago. This fire is the next ridge over but I could tell when I was taking the photo that it had already crested it.

I just looked outside again and now the smoke has spread out over the whole western and southern skies, there's at least two air tankers up there dumping loads of that red fire retardant, and a second wave of trucks just went by with sirens blaring. And the wind is picking up.

Man, we have so much fun up here in the mountains!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kirsty said...

Wow! That is beautiful...and frightening. I honestly don't know how you do it...that fear hovering over you all summer long, then seeing those plumes of white and smelling smoke for weeks on end. I'll be saying prayers for you all!

Kirsty

3:03 AM  
Blogger :-D eirdre said...

I'm thinking the same thing as Kristy - how can you stand having this happen EVERY DAMN YEAR? Too close for my comfort and I'm all the way over here to your right.

Hugs and wet thoughts!

4:37 AM  
Blogger Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Sheesh, that is tooo close. Every year right on schedule. Hope it is out soon. Stay safe.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Corky said...

Damn I hate that you're dealing with this. Be safe.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home