Thursday, September 14, 2006

You are what you Eat

Here's a little MeMe I found over at..... over at..... uhm.... on someone's blog. Sorry. I can't remember where now. But it's fun! And quick! Feel free to steal it from me and forget where you got it too!

You Are What You Eat

How do you like your eggs? over medium

How do you take your coffee/tea? coffee usually as a latte or capuccino. If it's regular coffee, then one small teaspoon sugar and soy milk. Tea - this gets sort of complicated. I'll take iced black tea with or without lemon and/or sugar. Hot black with cream and sugar (actually soy milk and sugar). Unless it's at a Chinese restaurant, then with or without sugar. Herb teas usually with nothing else added to them.

Favorite breakfast foods: Hot cereals would be my first choice. Cold cereal is fine if it's something whole grainy or granola, with fruit and/or nuts. A bagel or English muffin sounds good, but I'm not big on toast. Pancakes and French Toast are both tasty but I rarely bother with making them. Ditto for eggs of any kind.

Peanut butter: smooth or crunchy? Crunchy

What kind of dressing on your salad? When I'm out at a restaurant, honey mustard on the side. At home I like this fat free raspberry dressing and a poppyseed one.

Coke or Pepsi? Neither. Ocasionally Shasta Cola or whatever the Safeway or Walmart brand is. All of them are less intense then Coke or Pepsi. But I'm not much of a soda person.

You're feeling lazy. What do you make? I don't. I go out to eat. Okay, okay, let's see..... probably open up a can of Progresso Chicken Rice soup, add some grated cheese and microwave it. Then toss some onions, lettuce, and crunched up tortilla chips on top of it - voila! Tortilla soup! Or a package of frozen ravioli works well for lazy days.

You're feeling really lazy. What kind of pizza do you order? Probably pepperoni because I would rarely order pizza unless my teenager was begging for it. If I was ordering two, then I'd add a mushroom pizza. If I wasn't buying cheap pizza, then a vegetarian special with white sauce instead of marinara.

You feel like cooking. What do you make? Hmmmm, maybe a stir fry. Or a big pot of chili with corn bread. Or homemade soup. Or fish with a sauce and fresh veggies.

Do any foods bring back good memories? My grandmothers' recipes remind me of my grandmothers. Potato latkes remind me of my father because for some reason he was always in charge of that particular dinner when I was young. Split pea soup reminds me of Joe because "Green Soup" was his favorite when he was little. Okra, fish sticks, and my sister's recipe for taco salad all remind me of Joshua for assorted reasons. Salmon reminds me of my lovely ex-MIL. Chocolate chip cookies made from refrigerator cookie dough bring back memories of hiding in my room to read on a rainy day. Caramel apples bring back the chill of a night at my high school football games. Gee, I guess it would have been easier to ask if there are any foods that don't bring back good memories!

Do any foods bring back bad memories? Nothing off the top of my head. I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any right now. My ex-husband through his dinner plate at the wall once - food all over the place. I refused to clean it up for a week. Gratefully, I can't remember what type of food.

Do any foods remind you of someone? I think I already answered that two questions up. I could go on, but you get the idea - I do a lot of food/people associating.

Is there a food you refuse to eat? I wouldn't eat a poisonous fish. I'm fond of sea food, but not particularly fond of sea food that still LOOKS like sea food, like baby squid and such. Although I'm fine with clams, crabs, that sort of thing. Bugs - I probably wouldn't eat bugs.

What was your favorite food as a child? My grandmother's canadles - they're Lithuanian potato dumplings served in our family with pork ribs and sauerkraut. You pour melted butter over them. I mean, come on, what's not to like! Of course now I realize they're probably as far away from the healthy side of the food choice list as possible, so I only eat them a couple times a year. In fact, that sound really, really good. Maybe tonight...

Is there a food that you hated as a child but now love? Watermelon. And coffee. I also hated soda, which I'll drink now, but I wouldn't say I love it. I also hated beer, but I still don't like it.

Is there a food that you loved as a child but now hate? canned spinach. I know - ewwww.

Favorite fruit & vegetable: All of them.

Favorite junk food: currently, popcorn. With melted butter, nutritional yeast sprinkled over it, and then World Market's Lime Margarita Popcorn Salt sprinkled on top of that!

Favorite between meal snack: a Starbucks bottled latte or iced tea (in the winter, a hot Starbucks or hot cup of tea), or a piece of cheese and an apple, or some other fruit, or a smoothie, or perhaps some tortilla chips with salsa, or leftovers from the fridge

Do you have any weird food habits? Pouring milk on my bowl of ice cream. I suppose for an American, milk in my tea is a wierd habit. I like tofu and soy milk - I don't think that's wierd but a lot of other people think it is. It used to be that if I made a sheet of refrigerator dough cookies, I had to eat the entire sheet myself. If someone else wanted any, I had to make them their own sheet. Don't ask. And I've grown out of it finally. After four decades.

You're on a diet. What food(s) do you fill up on? Fruits and vegetables, whole grains, soups - but generally I don't truly diet. I just watch what I eat and keep busy if I think I'm eating too much out of stress or boredom.

You're off your diet. Now what would you like? The same things I'd eat if I was on a diet. I love fresh and healthy foods best.

How spicy do you order Indian/Thai? I ask for medium heat and when I get my food I always wish they had added more heat.

May I get you a drink? Margarita, on the rocks or blended, with salt. Although honestly, I'd probably ask for an iced tea.

Red wine or white? depends on what I'm eating, depends on the mood of the night

We only have beer: Then I'll just have a glass of water please. Beer tastes like soap suds. I had something called a shandy in Scotland, on the advice of a friend. It's beer and lemonade. That was pretty nice.

Favorite dessert? Chocolate mousse (good chocolate mousse, none of that glorified chocolate pudding crap) or tiramisu. Or perhaps homemade strawberry/rhubarb pie or homemade strawberry shortcake with fresh berries.

The perfect nightcap? a cup of hot tea taken to bed with a good book.

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

I think Deb did this one. I may do it tomorrow as I have nothing to write about. I love doing memes.

I enjoyed your answers and agreed with many of them....especially the canned spinach! Yuk!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

oh yea! you liked the shandy? i'm delighted. and of course, when you say lemonade here, people are thinking, well, lemonade - with pulp. not sprite. :)

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home