Tuesday, November 07, 2006

GO VOTE!!!

I got a personal letter from Michael Moore this morning. Okay, personal to me and thousands of other people, reminding me to get out and vote. He added that if we took a photo of ourselves in front of our polling place, holding a broom - see, we're "sweeping out the crooks and warmongers" - he'd put the photo up on his website.

Hey, I'm always up for a good public display of support. Plus it's fun to confuse people. Since I'm probably voting too late here on the west coast to get my photo up on Michael's homepage, I'll go ahead and put it up here.


I'm cleverly disguised as Elpheba sweeping away the Wicked Wizard of Oz and his minions. If you don't get the reference - Elpheba is the main character in Gregory Maguire's bestselling novel Wicked, which (witch?) is a wonderful read with a frighteningly timely political message.

And if you think I'm overstating the issue, remember, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you! When I took this photo - actually, a very nice young man with a pony tail, a stranger to me, took the photo. I just posed for it. - but as he was handing me back my camera and I was thanking him, a very angry looking official came storming out of the building and in her most stern I'm-in-charge-here voice she demanded "Can you tell me what's going ON here!?"

I told her I was taking a photo of myself in front of my polling place. No one else. Just me. I smiled sweetly. Did she have a problem with that? Apparently she did, but she couldn't think fast enough of how she might prevent me, and besides I'd already taken the photo and she looked vaguely familiar to me so I suspect I looked vaguely familiar to her as well, so she just continued to look very grumpy and went back inside. I wonder - oh, one can only hope here in this conservative backwaters! - that I wasn't the only broom wielding voter of the day and she wanted to know what exactly was up with all the wierdos.

But don't worry, despite the disguise, I voted under my real name, so as long as the crooks and warmongers don't tinker with it, knock on wood, my vote will count.

3 Comments:

Blogger His Office, My Studio said...

What a great photo! Only in America can we do things like that.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Love it Laume, you rock!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

That's such a cool idea! I voted (of course...always do!) but nothing fun or exciting here...no brooms or hats or even "I voted" stickers. :-/

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home