Saturday, October 21, 2006

Autumn in the Sierras

Is there anything that can compete with the contrast of vibrant autumn hues against a backdrop of brilliant blue sky?

For some people a trip up into the mountains is a rare holiday event. For me, it's a regular event, and not always a welcome one. Back and forth, back and forth, it's a long drive and I do it often, for assorted reasons. Despite that, I still haven't gotten blasé about the scenery. Tall, dark forests of green, deep blankets of snow, the moon playing hide and seek behind the trees, creeks bubbling and dancing downstream.

Yesterday we had to make the trip for the last of the away games for William's football team. I wasn't looking forward to more travel. I consoled myself with the thought that I could spend the time pondering plot and character for the fast approaching Nano date. Instead, we were distracted and rewarded by gorgeous fall foliage, the colors at their peak at the higher altitudes. I wish I could have stopped to taken even more photos, alas we only had a tiny bit of extra time to get to the game. Mostly it's wilderness, but here's a bit of civilization on the edge of the town of Chester.


I liked the one leaf aloft, free on the wind, a final hurrah before it falls to the forest floor.

I wish I could show you a 360 degree photo instead of this one little box of forest. The red popped up unexpectedly, all around us.

The football game itself wasn't so fun. Our team lost - by a lot. And the valley temperatures - 86 degrees with a hot wind - made me long to head back into the hills as soon as we could. Still, Sam and Kyla surprised us by driving down from Redding for the game and we went out for great conversation and Mexican food afterwards. Sunset comes early now and so it was too dark for more photos on the way home, but all in all a tiring but lovely day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

The photos are beautiful!

2:42 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

laume was the sky really that blue? That top photo would make a brilliant quilt.
hugz from OZtralia

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home