Friday, April 06, 2007

More San Diego adventures

On Tuesday we had our first day alone with Joli. You'd think between three of us it would be a snap, yes? But we knew that when push came to shove, none of us were "Mommy". And she's one of those nursing babies who would refuse to take a bottle.

It turned out that although we weren't Mommy, we were Grammy, Grampa, and Unca William and that seemed to be just fine. Each morning we napped, got dressed, did ordinary things until it was time to meet Lisa on her lunch break so Joli could "fill up". Then we went off on adventures for the afternoon.

We went to Balboa Park the first day. Since I had the camera, I made the boys take care of the "babies". I didn't take too many photos though. I let the boys wander where they wanted for the most part. We ate lunch at the outdoor cafe attached to the art museum. I didn't force them to go inside. They went to the car museum instead while I stayed outside with Rosie. Mainly I just enjoyed the gardens and architecture and warm sun.

Babies love young people. Joli thought William was the most fascinating thing she'd ever seen. One morning she watched William eat a bowl of cereal. Every spoonful was followed from milk to mouth with complete concentration. When he was done and set the spoon down in his bowl she looked surprised, then sad, then she burst into tears that the show was over.

This was at the amphitheatre in Balboa Park. William wanted to walk along this ledge and look in that window. Rosie wasn't much impressed with the idea.

One evening Jeff and I left everyone at home and went out on a vacation date. I had always wanted and never managed to walk around the Gaslamp District in downtown San Diego, so we started out there. I thought it was fun but there was just too much inner city energy for hubby to relax and enjoy it. He faired a bit better at the downtown mall. I love the twisting, open air, multi-level walkway architecture of it. It's like wandering around inside an M. C. Escher image. We ended up at Seaport Village which, although it's downtown, is less edgy and more family friendly. We ate al fresco overlooking a harbor filled with rich folks floating toys. Pretty. After dinner we wandered around one of my favorite bookstores, the Upstart Crow.

Hmmm, the next group of photos I want to share are all from my favorite herb farm, so I'll save those for tomorrow. I put up some more photos of moutain vistas on Laumes Studio today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Thanks for posting the photos of San Diego. It's one of my favorite places. I wish I was there right now!

What a sweet little baby girl. I'll bet she soaked up all the attention like a sponge.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Darla said...

I enjoyed the San Diego photo's. I've been in that twisting shopping mall.

Aren't grandbabies the most fun ever? Your's looks like a honey.

Darla

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home