Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Cake or death?

We love Eddie Izzard and find opportunities to quote this bit quite often:



Today is my birthday. Obviously, I choose cake. That's pretty much what it boils down to as you get older, yes? Every year you make it to another cake day is a fantastic gift. I could never understand women who lied about their age as they aged. And now that I've aged myself, it's even more confusing to me. I think I deserve credit for each and every year. In fact, I'm quite pleased that I've gotten to the point where if I have a birthday cake....



... it has to be a really BIG cake to fit all the candles atop it.

The image “http://www.emergingminister.com/graphics/random/candles.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

When I was a little girl, my dad's side of the family always ordered a special "fruit basket" cake for birthdays. I think they were a Midwestern thing as I haven't seen one since I've lived in California.

The image “http://www.hotcakesbakes.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/freshfruitslice.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I used to make really amazing themed cakes for my kids' birthdays. Nothing as amazing as the cakes I found online today, but still, my family was impressed. (I'll admit, they were easily impressed.) Nowadays the cake making tradition has fallen to my husband for some reason. It makes him happy, so that's the way it is.

Still, if I could pick a cake for myself, look at some of these beauties! A fairy cake!


Fairy Cakes - Do It Yourself Cake Decorating Package SAVE $3.45

Or, this is just too perfect for my blog, yes? A beach cake!

01_beach-cake.jpg

I love gardens as much as I do the beach, how about a flower cake. Can you imagine making all these marzipan flowers!? Or sugar flowers. Not sure which.

French wild flowers

Although, to be perfectly honest, I'm not really that big of a cake person. There are a few cakes I like - there's a certain type of vanilla sheet cake that is scrumptious. Chocolate cakes are always worth the calories, even if have to leave all that extra frosting behind (blech). If you stick fruit in it and use whipped cream or icing instead, you'll probably pique my interest. But then again I could go with a REAL flower cake for a visual and then just have something like tiramisu or chocolate mousse for my mouth.

http://www.adevineflorist.com.au/products/Flowercake.jpg

I think this the best cake I found. It's a wedding cake but if it was just one layer, it could be a birthday cake. I love this cake. Look at the wicked viney roots sticking in and out of the top layer and the tiny drops of blood on the bottom. I would SO love this cake! Hey, did you think I was just pretending to be strange?



Probably most appropriate for my cold January birthday, a snow cake!

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/wedding/snowflakedance.jpg

I'm having a lovely birthday. There was a real cake today. Here is what it looked like.


Hubby used the last piece of dried up gingerbread cake, frosted it with the the leftover frosting from making gingerbread houses, and stuck three birthday candles in it he found in a kitchen drawer. He brought it to me in bed, all lit up, singing Happy Birthday. Then he warned me I couldn't really eat it, that it was just for decorative purposes. I blew out the candles and stuck my finger in the frosting and licked it off just to say I'd had a "piece" of my birthday cake. It certainly wasn't the fanciest cake I've ever had, but it was funny and sweet of him to want me to wake to a cake. And then he took me to the tea room and showered me with flowers, chocolates, and presents. And tonight we're going out for dessert, so that will be my real "cake".

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
hope you had a great day. Sounded like you had a good start.
Marian in SA (quiltmav)

8:37 PM  
Blogger Scarlett said...

Oh, I hope that you have a happy birthday with gorgeous tasting cake!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Brittany said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAUME,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! What??!! No, that is not dogs howling!! lol!!

It looks like you got the best of all the cakes!!! And in bed, oh my!! Hope it was just a wonderful day for you!!
:)Brittany

10:13 PM  
Blogger Brittany said...

Hey Laume! I left you a little something on my latest post!!
:Brittany

8:03 AM  
Blogger Flea Market Queen said...

What a beautiful display of cakes...
Hope your day was magical!
Priscilla

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home