Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Quack, Quack, Quack! (Warning - This post contains excessive use of exclamation points!)

I mentioned about a week ago that there were plans afoot and ducks being rounded up and put in a row, yes? Well, there's still a lot of feather grooming to be done but those ducks finally lined up nicely and here's where they're headed -


Paris!!!!!!

(Imagine I've screamed that at you in a high pitched voice that make your ears bleed and that only dogs can completely hear) (and yes, the sky was really that color.) But wait, that's not all! We also will have a little time in.....

London!!!!!!

"Have a little time" - get it? Little time? Big Ben? I know, I'm just too funny for words!

We were only planning to go to Paris but it turns out, for reasons known only to air flight planners, that it's much cheaper to fly to London. So much cheaper that it absorbs the cost of the Eurostar to Paris and still saves us money!

And that's not even all the good news! For the first week, my son Sam and his girlfriend will be joining us for a mad cap couple of days first in London followed by another two days racing through the sights in Paris! Then they, being resourceful young adults, will find their way back across the channel and fly home while hubby and I will spend another much more relaxing, cafe sitting, museum browsing, street wandering week, just the two of us, in the City of Love, Lights, Chocolate, Coffee, Frenchiness, and all manner of OLD THINGS!

I could go on and on, and I'm sure I will, until you're tired of hearing about it. We leave in just eight weeks, so that's eight weeks of me blathering enthusiastically and annoyingly about things like what sort of luggage to use and what kind of shoes to buy, what color scheme to wear and whether to stay in the Latin Quarter or Montmartre. I'll try to pace myself. And I'm open to any and all suggestions for hole in the wall restaurants, best patissieries, must see streets or gardens, etc.

Okay, this time I'll be kind and give you a chance to get your hands over your ears first. Ready?.....

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Darla said...

I'm excited for you! I don't have any suggestions because my times in Paris/London were done in the late 80's and I'm sure things have changed. It is every bit as wonderful as you are imagining it to be.

Got room in your suitcase for me?

Darla

5:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You lucky thing, I love Paris, I once spent Christmas there and it was magic. x

11:14 AM  
Blogger Miss*Laurence said...

Excellent!
Now I hope you're staying at least a day in London so that I can meet you! It's only 2hrs away from me by train! There are things to do in London as well you know!
Paris, although I'm French I never lived there, so all I can tell you is : THE MUSEE D'ORSAY. I don't care if you don't climb the tower, if you miss Lisa, forget Rodin, decide the Seine is too expensive. You MUST go to Orsay.
When you've done that, then you can get lost in the Louvre, should keep you busy for a while. If it is in season, try to get out of Paris and see Giverny, Monet's garden, and possibly Versailles which will just dazzle you with roccoco ( you may bring back some very expensive redecorating ideas home!)
Old things as well you say? Well Brocantes it is at the week-end: St Ouen, porte de Clignancourt. Not a great area when you get there, but once in the fleamarket you're somewhere else!
http://www.st-ouen-tourisme.com/fr/
marche_aux_puces/plan_du_marche.html

1:23 PM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

It sounds as though you'll be coming to Paris about the time I'm heading West. Vanves is the flea market to find bargains on the weekends, mornings only. Clignacourt is good to see, but it is expensive. The Musee d'Orsay, the Carnavalet, the Centre Pompidou and the Picasso Museum are all good places to see. And the Louvre, maybe just to see the Mona Lisa, some other da Vinci paintings and the Egyptian wing. The Musee des Arts Decoratifs is excellent and is just across the street from the Louvre. The Institut de l'monde Arabe is spectacular architecture and fascinating exhibits - plus a cool gift shop/tearoom for Moroccan mint tea. In the same neighbourhood, there's Notre Dame and ile Saint Louis (try the Berthillon ice cream). In London, try to visit the Tate Modern, the V&A and the British Museum and the National Gallery and the Churchill Museum, if you have time. And some of the excellent weekend markets, ie Portobello Road and Brick Lane. Normally the Camden Market would be advised, but due to a recent fire, don't know what's open. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Jaye said...

I am completely thrilled for you! I can't wait to hear all about it and see the pix!
Jaye

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home