Sunday, March 23, 2008

Movie Quote Game - The Unanswered Answers

First List

There were five unanswered from the first list, even with clues. Although, on the plus side, that means people guessed two thirds of them. I'm not surprised a couple of them went unguessed - I think they were too difficult, especially now that I've tried guessing other people's lists and discovered how hard it is out of context. But I thought a couple of them were obvious, especially after the clues were added.

2. "I already know an awful lot of people and until one of them dies I couldn't possibly meet anyone else."

"Well, if anyone goes on the critical list, let me know."

Clue: This is from a very old movie.

Answer: Charade with Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, and Walter Mathieu. If you haven't seen this great old movie full of wit and surprises, rent it immediately.

3. "You mean she would rather imagine herself relating to an absent person than build relationships with those around her?"

This is probably my hardest quote. Clue: The character is talking about a person in a painting.

Answer: Amelie with Audrey Tatou - another must see movie. French subtitles but do NOT let that scare you off.

4. "Thank you, Madame, for that fascinating lesson in our cultural differences."

Clue: Imagine this line with a French accent.

Answer: French Kiss with Kevin Kline and Meg Ryan - Love this movie!

5. "I'm just like every modern woman trying to have it all. A loving husband, a family. I only wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."

Geeze, how many characters would be seeking out dark forces!? Well, okay, maybe there's a lot of strange movies out there. Okay, for a clue, I'll add another line by a different character in the same movie.

"Be afraid. Be very afraid."

Answer: Addams Family Values - Morticia said the first line, Wednesday the second.

15. " Maybe you should put some shorts on or something, if you want to keep fighting evil today."

Clue: This line is being said to a naked man.

Answer: Mystery Men - The Bowler says this to The Invisible Boy.


Second/Easy List

This list was easier, only two remained unanswered. There are three quotes below because one of them was guessed just in the nick of time and so I'll give them credit with the answer.

3. "A gun rack... a gun rack. I don't even own *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do... with a gun rack?"

Clue: the actor who who says this line was at one time a Saturday Night Live regular. William not only knew this movie immediately, he could also continue reciting the entire scene!

Answer: Wayne's World. I'm totally amazed this one wasn't guessed right away. Well, it was, by William - but my family watches almost all the same movies so that kinda disqualifies them from the competition.

4. "But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?"

"No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!"

"The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true."

Clue: This one is from a really, really, really old movie. I know some of you have seen it, but probably you folks are really, really, really old too.

Caty guessed this one at the very last minute - The Court Jester with the incredible Danny Kaye.

14. "Paris is always a good idea."

Am I the only person who loves this movie!? Clue: there are two versions of this movie. This quote is from my favorite version, which is four decades more recent than the first one.

Answer: Sabrina - the 1995 version with Harrison Ford, Julia Ormond, and Greg Kinnear. There's a 1954 version with Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, and William Holden. Although I love all those older actors, I just don't feel they managed to create the same chemistry between the characters that is created in the 1995 movie.

2 Comments:

Blogger Connie Carpenter Macko said...

I'm finally ready with my list if anyone's still playing! I'm over here: http://finerthanfroghair.blogspot.com/2008/03/movie-quote-game.html

come and visit!

you've GOT to do better than I did this week!

10:16 PM  
Blogger Connie Carpenter Macko said...

oh and oddly, I prefer the older version of Sabrina... can't say why except that's the one I saw first? hmmm.....

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home