Sunday, May 04, 2008

Pity Party

Now that Buck is well, time for me to be sick. At first I thought I had a spider with a bad attitude in my bed. A few "bites" on my arm. By the third morning of working up with new "bites" and finally a mouth full of sores, I went to the urgent care clinic and was told I had coxsackie virus, of which hand, foot, and mouth disease is one of the variations.

I'm not feeling particularly ill - but I am feeling beyond miserable. I'm hungry but it's painful to eat anything but soft - yogurt, potatoes, ice cream. I itch everywhere. Particularly my hands. Holding anything is painful.

The clinic gave me an antihistamine. They told me it might make me sleepy. I informed them that I was one of those rare people who have a reverse reaction to antihistamines, they make me wired out. They patted me on the head and sent me home with it anyway since I have no medical degree and so clearly I'm unable to observe my own reactions to anything. I held out all that day and most of the next day but finally was so miserable I took one despite fears that I'd be hyped up like I'd had downed multiple espressos or the alternate fear that it would make me both sleepy and dizzy. In fact, it did none of the above. Nor did it make me feel less itchy.

So. Here I sit. Or lay. Mouthing occasional bowls of yogurt and alternating between watching television and sleeping. I'm not sleepy, but I am tired from it all, and asleep I'm not miserable.

More spots developing today. Oh, yeah, it would have been really nice if they'd mentioned at the clinic that this is highly contagious. Thank goodness for the internet. It would have also been nice if they'd mentioned that using Maalox for a mouthwash for my mouth sores (which did work, btw) would also turn my tongue black. Seeing THAT in the bathroom mirror this morning totally freaked me out. Again, internet to the rescue.

That's all. Hopefully I'm peaking and will be in the mend soon.

Sympathy and tea graciously accepted.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww. I have lots of sympathy for you, and I'll even make you some tea! Chamomile okay? Of course, you're not in Europe anymore, so I'll have to drink it myself, but I'll be thinking of you.

10:54 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Oh no! That's awful. Hope you have lots of TLC at home! xo

3:46 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Sorry to hear of your troubles, thanks for not showing us photos of your hoof and mouth rashes. Hope it clears up fast!
Jan

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home