Saturday, January 22, 2011

Redwoods, Philosophy, Moss, and Silliness

IMG_9353

To the great tree-loving fraternity we belong.  We love trees with universal and unfeigned love, and all things that do grow under them or around them - the whole leaf and root tribe.  ~Henry Ward Beecher



 IMG_9352

Time is what prevents everything from happening at once.  ~John Archibald Wheeler



IMG_9354

 
"Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going
No feeling is final" ~ Rainer Maria Rilke





IMG_9359


Fairies are invisible and inaudible like angels.  But their magic sparkles in nature.  ~Lynn Holland


IMG_9367

And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything.  ~William Shakespeare


IMG_9369

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  ~Dr. Seuss

IMG_9374

It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanation from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit.  ~Robert Louis Stevenson



IMG_9381

One gets to the heart of the matter by a series of experiences in the same pattern, but in different colors. - Robert Graves 
 

IMG_9382

Shall I not have intelligence with the earth?  Am I not partly leaves and vegetable mould myself.  ~Henry David Thoreau



IMG_9387

Wisdom is nothing but a preparation of the soul, a capacity, a secret art of thinking, feeling and breathing thoughts of unity at every moment of life. ~ Herman Hesse





IMG_9394

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery



IMG_9396

Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.  ~Chief Seattle, 1855



IMG_9399

In some mysterious way woods have never seemed to me to be static things.  In physical terms, I move through them; yet in metaphysical ones, they seem to move through me.  ~John Fowles



IMG_9409

You will find something more in woods than in books.  Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters.  ~St. Bernard



IMG_9412

A wee child toddling in a wonder world.... I prefer to their dogma my excursions into the natural gardens where the voice of the Great Spirit is heard in the twittering of birds, the rippling of mighty waters, and the sweet breathing of flowers.  If this is Paganism, then at present, at least, I am a Pagan.  ~Zitkala-Sa



IMG_9415


There is always Music amongst the trees in the Garden, but our hearts must be very quiet to hear it.  ~Minnie Aumonier




IMG_9423


Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.  ~Albert Einstein



IMG_9426

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.  ~Lao Tzu




IMG_9441

A faery hammock deep in a hollow.


Soft moss a downy pillow makes, and green leaves spread a tent,
Where Faerie fold may rest and sleep until their night is spent.
The bluebird sings a lullaby, the firefly gives a light,
The twinkling stars are candles bright, Sleep, Faeries all, Good Night.
~Elizabeth T. Dillingham, "A Faery Song"




IMG_9446

A man's growth is seen in the successive choirs of his friends.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

IMG_9525

The road leading to a goal does not separate you from the destination; it is essentially a part of it. ~ Charles de Lint 



IMG_9452

Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars... and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole existence is joyful.  Everything is simply happy.  Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance.  Look at the flowers - for no reason.  It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are.  ~Osho



IMG_9425

Well, some bits of nature don't seem happy.  This fellow seemed sort of grumpy.  So I thought I'd help him frown for a few moments.


IMG_9455

 I never saw a discontented tree.  They grip the ground as though they liked it, and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do.  They go wandering forth in all directions with every wind, going and coming like ourselves, traveling with us around the sun two million miles a day, and through space heaven knows how fast and far!  ~John Muir


IMG_9459


The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man.  ~Author Unknown




IMG_9476


What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and wildness?  Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet,
Long live the weeds and the wildness yet.
~Gerard Manley Hopkins, Inversnaid







IMG_9484

Science, like life, feeds on its own decay.  New facts burst old rules; then newly divined conceptions bind old and new together into a reconciling law.  ~William James


IMG_9485

So tiny.  See the camera lens at the far right to get a sense of size.



IMG_9371


And some tings aren't so tiny.  Watch out Victoria.  The Green Man is right behind you!!!




IMG_9492


Nature will bear the closest inspection.  She invites us to lay our eye level with her smallest leaf, and take an insect view of its plain.  ~Henry David Thoreau




IMG_9496


Fieldes have eies and woods have eares.  ~John Heywood, 1565




IMG_9501

The groves were God's first temples.  ~William Cullen Bryant, "A Forest Hymn"



IMG_9505

Another faery hammock, this one was beautifully decorated.


IMG_9507

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost



IMG_9490

Victoria was quite smitten with the deep red branches that were under foot.


IMG_9514

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.  ~John Burroughs



IMG_9516

Nature built herself a totem pole full of faces.



IMG_9520

Fire is an integral part of a grove's history.


IMG_9521

As the poet said, "only God can make a tree" - probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on.  ~Woody Allen



IMG_9522

Trees are the earth's endless effort to speak to the listening heaven.  ~Rabindranath Tagore, Fireflies, 1928



IMG_9524

Hair style is the final tip-off whether or not a woman really knows herself.  ~Hubert de Givenchy, Vogue, July 1985



IMG_9527

There are rich counsels in the trees.  ~Herbert P. Horne



IMG_9533

When the student is ready, the master appears.  ~Buddhist Proverb



IMG_9536

We are spirits clad in veils.  ~Christopher P. Cranch



IMG_9540

If you would know strength and patience, welcome the company of trees.  ~Hal Borland




IMG_9551

 
Alice came to a fork in the road.  "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

11 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Laume, this is exquisite! This should be in a big coffee table book so one can gaze at the gorgeous photography and contemplate the well chosen quotes. Mesmerizing. I loved every moment of it. Thank you. Now I am going to forward the link to people who will appreciate it. After I look at all the gloriousness of it again myself.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Laume said...

Thank you Jan. Your sweet comment makes me day. :)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Lutra said...

I have to agree with Jan...
You should make a book out of these... and some of your other collected photos from the area.... I can smell the trees, and my soul drank deep from the words and the images....
I almost felt like I was seven years old wandering around in the woods with my brother.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Patty Ashworth said...

Really good. I'm calmer now. The trees have so much charature. Thank you for sharing! The quotes are wonderful....

3:14 PM  
Blogger Barbara Rosenzweig said...

I am a watercolor artist and photographer looking forward to meeting a new friend! Your blog is wonderful! Please count me in and visit me http://barbararosenzweig.blogspot.com/ #864.
I love your photos. They remind me of my trip to the Pacific Northwest.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Gloria said...

Gorgeous, a dizzying, heady experience, photos take me there. Need tea and contemplation after that hike. Love it.

5:09 PM  
Blogger ~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What amazing photographs and beautiful quotes! I take a lot of photos of trees, too! Love your blog! ♥

6:13 PM  
Blogger http://arbrastuce.canalblog.com/ said...

Hello,
I have come to visit thanks to the OWOH and Your pictures are just beautiful. I love trees as well but in Europe we have nothing compared to these giants (where did you take the pictures ?).
Please if you have got a minut don't hesitate to come and visit my blog. Look at bal'arbres (mix between a walk and tree in French) and you may find some trees you like. For the moment there is only one post but more will come...
http://arbrastuce.canalblog.com/

Barbara

5:31 AM  
Blogger Jona Panesa said...

wow, these are lovely photos!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Minxy said...

Fantastic photos, How can anyone not love tree's especially when there this big, i hope one day i can experience there wonder in person :D

6:49 AM  
Blogger ByLightOfMoon said...

Laume,
I may be ever present on this blog viewing your beautiful photos! They are just incredible! I miss the pacific northwest so badly, I want to pack up and move right now! The area is so inspiring and you do appreciate it. Thanks for sharing it with us and I definatley will return for more I hope.

Your children are awesome and your costumes are beautiful for the many fairs in the area. I lived in Sumner, WA and Port Angeles, WA. Oh Memories!
Many thanks for the idea of covering my little teardrop trailer "Daisy". I will tryit, the most they can say is leave and I will in a second, to come North!
(grins)
I appreciate your comment and idea!
Smiles, Cyndi

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home