Tuesday, January 24, 2006

My new Nimbus 2000 arrives by owl post!



Okay, so maybe it's not a Nimbus 2000. And it arrived by UPS, not owl post. Although, my cat, who's NAME is Owl, ran out the door during the delivery, so there's a bit of truth in there. Isn't she a beauty!?

She's the multi-colored one on the right. She'll go in my studio to sweep up equally multi-colored scraps of thread and fabric and paper and beads and all manner of artsy flotsam. In case you too would like a beautiful new broom, I got her here - http://bereacc.site.yahoo.net/

The other broom in the photo is my kitchen broom. I do use her for sweeping on occasion, but mostly her job is magical guardian of the home. It's a kitchen witch sort of thing. A kitchen witch, for those of you wondering, is someone who does everyday magic - makes chicken soup to help cure a cold, sew a quilt to keep someone warm and loved, chases off a bad mood with a bit of silly dancing, and of course sweeps the dirt from her home, both physical and metaphysically.

When my new broom arrived today, the first thing my husband said was "Won't your old broom be jealous?" My husband is an odd duck. But then I thought about it (proving that I am also slightly odd) and said "No, because a) the new broom is for the studio, it won't be moving into the old broom's territory and b) the old broom is old enough to be mature about this sort of thing." But just to be sure, we put them together to get to know each other for a bit before new broom goes off to the studio. That's why they're BOTH in the photo.

Since I'm showing you my new broom and my old broom, I thought I'd show you the rest of the brooms I have around the house. Most of them, although not all, came from my mom. She loves all things crafty but wasn't really using them. She had them stuck in a corner of her garage. They looked dusty and sad. I was happy to take them off her hands when she downsized.

So, here's a photo of an umbrella stand full of brooms displayed by the front door. I want to find a little sign, or perhaps make one, to hang on the stand that says "Broom parking" - ha!

















And another photo of some brooms on the hearth.





















And because they deserve the credit, being the work brooms of the place while the rest of the bunch all just sit around looking pretty for the most part, here's one more photo of the pantry brooms.



















I also have a few wisk brooms and miniature brooms (never meant to be anything but decorations) about the place, but I'll leave those to your imagination.

Now, I'm off, ironically, to do some housework. Not sweeping though. Laundry. With another magical tool - my washing machine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

Hey, that broom came from Kentucky, from just a little south of me!! You should've just come for a visit and we could've gone and picked it up in person. :-)

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home