Friday, March 31, 2006

Mapping it out

I like to have a generalized plan of where I'm headed, whether it be for a vacation, the week ahead, or my life as a whole. Unlike some, like my sister (hey, I've seen her idea of a daily to-do list!), I don't have it worked out down to scheduling in morning and afternoon potty breaks. I like to leave room for dawdling or listening to the wind or spontaneous detours. But I feel better planning a few key points. I won't go on and on, this isn't the first time I've talked about this topic, but the reason I'm bringing it up again is because yesterday was one of those days where I was reminded, again, of one of my favorite sayings.

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Yep. So true.

I had this year all planned out. It included 9 major goals. I've spent time on 4, maybe 5, of them, and none of that was serious time or focus. Instead I have....just off the top of my head.... 15 or so major plans, only 4 of which were listed in my original goals, the rest all events, circumstances, projects or trips that originated with other people's needs or influences. My calendar is literally booked solid, and I have no idea how it happened. Again. Last year about this same time I was bemoaning the exact same situation.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Rather, not all the added or alternative events are bad things. Far from it! Some of them are very, very good things. Things I wouldn't miss for the world. Some of them, actually, are the world, or more specifically, the seeing of it.

So, since I wouldn't trade the unexpected events, and I don't want to give up on the hope of finding time for my original goals, where does that leave me? Juggling. Trying to fit more activities into a non-changing number of days in a year. Making compromises. Going with the flow. And most importantly, perhaps, is remembering that it's all about attitude. Life will continue to be what it wants to be, with only limited success on my part in controlling it. I can either enjoy it, planned or unplanned, or I can grouch about it.

I'm leaning towards the first option. Does that mean I am wise? Or just lazy? The jury's still out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home