Saturday, November 25, 2006

A Travel Meme

I'm doing another meme from Deb's Red Shoe Ramblings because she always has interesting meme's and I've just not been up for blogging recently. Stressed. Ugh. That's what having no roof and no heating system at the end of November will do to a person. I don't really want to talk about it. Unless I already did? Did I complain about all my house woes? Hopefully I've spared you. And like I said, I don't want to talk about it, I just want it to be all resolved. ASAP!

Today I forced myself to finish fitting all my novels into the shelf space I alloted for it. To do so I had to squeeze into a very small space between the television cabinet and the shelf space, not fun, so I've been avoiding the task for weeks. Months? The books have alternated between being piled up and topped down all over the fireplace hearth all this time. So it felt good to finally get the task completed. Now I just can't buy any more books because I don't think there's room for them, except for a few odd alphabetical spaces. Not buy any more books - snort - like that's gonna happen.

I also got all my holiday cards written out and addressed this evening while watching BBC comedy with William. It's not over yet, there are a few zip codes to find, some folks have moved. So I've got to add some info and seal envelopes and what not. It's easier to do cards in the last few years though. Since I blog and e-mail long distance friends and family so frequently, I don't have a year's worth of news I have to catch up on with anyone. No more holiday letter! And hey, if you're one of the few of my friends or family who doesn't have e-mail, well, sheesh - GET WITH THE PROGRAM! It's the 21st century - helloooo! Although, if you're one of those people, you probably don't have internet either, so it's not like any of them are any of you who are reading this. So, never mind.

Okay, I said I was gonna do a meme, so here ya go:


On The Road Again

1. If you had to move 100 miles or more to the north, east, west, or south, which would you choose, where would you end up, and what's so great about there?

Hmmmm. Do I have to go straight north, east, west or south? I can't go, say, 100 miles northwest? I know, I never answer a question without modifiying. So, let's see. North - I'd have to go at least as far as Bend, Oregon before I'd bother moving. That's probably more like 200 miles. 100 miles north is Alturas, CA, and that's even more isolated then Susanville, so forget that. 100 miles south of me is Reno, NV. I wouldn't mind living somewhere in that area. Carson City is even nicer, that's about 120 miles. A little out of my price range probably. Reno is a nice small city in that it has some culture but still lots of wide open spaces. 100 miles east is.... nothing. I mean nothing. I think it's about where the Black Rock Desert is, that's where Burning Man is held every year. And when it's not, then there's nothing there but salt flats. I think there's nothing east of me until you get to Salt Lake City and although it has beautiful mountains, it's in Utah, so probably not a good fit for me. Very hard to find a coffee shop in Utah. 100 miles east of me is Chico, CA, which, except for 100 degrees plus temps in the summer, I wouldn't mind living in at all! Very liberal college town, pretty old neighborhoods, rural surroundings, mountains just a few minutes away. Although, alas, again, a bit too pricey. If I kept going west from there I'd end up somewhere on the Mendocino or Humboldt coastline and I'd LOVE to live there but it's completely out of my price range. Sigh. Which would I choose? Probably east since I would be closer to the ocean, but I'd choose north if I could go northeast since that's where our retirement property is located.

2. Do you have a favorite stretch of highway or byway for driving, touring, or wandering?

I'd have to say Highway 101 from San Francisco all the way up and around the Olympic Peninsula. My favorite part of the stretch is the Oregon coastline. Great beaches, lots of friendly small towns, lighthouses, quilt shops, sea food, forests... what's not to like!

3. Are you happier to start a trip or return home?

A little of both. Starting out is best because I still have a trip full of possibilities ahead of me. I tend to give myself just enough time to get back home, with just a bit of dawdling time built in, so it's not very relaxing to drive back home. But I also suffer from anxiety attacks pre-trip, until I'm well on my way, so that's a not fun part of starting out.

4. Plane, train, automobile, bicycle, or foot?

I don't like to fly, but I won't let it stop me if I'm going a long distance and it's the only practical way to travel. I mean, I don't want to walk to Europe. I'm not a fan of bicycles - to me it's just a sore butt in the making. I like to hike, but I like to hike once I get to where ever I'm going, not as a means to get there in the first place. I travel by car a lot and although some of it is boring and tedious, I like having control of my own method of transportation, I like the freedom to come and go as I choose. Car would definitely be my first choice. Having said that, I love the feel of traveling by train and I like the freedom to relax, knit, eat, chat, watch the scenery go buy and not have to keep my eye on the road. I thought I'd hate not having a car in England but traveling by rail was so easy that I didn't miss having a vehicle and having to deal with it at all!

5. Do you overplan or underplan your travels? (Assume that "no" is not a valid answer.)

I always underplan. I only plan enough to make sure I don't (usually) end up with no place to stay the first night. I usually know where I'm headed or who I'm visiting, but I like to leave a lot of open space between definite plans in order to be spontaneous and enjoy unexpected stops or events.

6. Do you like to travel alone or with others? This wasn't one of the original questions, but I think it's an interesting one. I like traveling alone or with just one or two family members. It gets more complicated when traveling with other people. Everyone has their own idea of what they want to do and it's hard to fit everyone's expectations into the itinerary. Several of my family members are great travel companions though and so having the pleasure of their company makes up for the compromises I need to make to keep everyone happy. Having said that, I do enjoy meeting up with other folks on my travels, or going to visit other people as the destination of my trip.

There are a lot of other questions I could think of to add - fast food or stop to eat? Camping, motel, or fancy hotel? Driver or passenger? Back to the same places or someplace new each year? Business or pleasure or a bit of both? Pack light or carry everything including the kitchen sink?

I don't tag folks for meme's but if you do this one, let me know so I can come read your answers!

And now, tea kettle is whistling. I've got to get to bed so I can get up in the morning and wonder where my roofer is yet again. Sigh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

Cool! I love the stuff you added at the end. And I agree with you about the companion thing.I don't mind traveling by myself, although I'm not good at distance driving alone for various reasons, so my first choice would be traveling with just one other compatible person. For each person you add to the mix, the less I like it because I feel like everyone has to compromise SO much with large groups that no one really gets the trip they want out of it.

The other question ideas you have are good too. I may have to do "on the road again - trip 2" soon! :-)

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home