Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Holiday Photos #31

We saw and did a lot on our first couple of days in London, but the photos are a bit sparse. I suspect it was because this is when William hurt his foot and when we got out of the ER, I spent more time paying attention to how he was holding up than I did taking photographs. Still, I took some.


William wanted to see the changing of the guard. We had front row..., er, front fence seats...,er, standing room. It was mildly entertaining. Certainly not something I need to do again. Sam and Kyla want to see it on the upcoming trip and I suggested they go on one of the two days they'll be in London before we arrive.

I thought the crowds that came to witness the event and the statues near Buckingham Palace were a lot more interesting. Check out the kangaroo in the nearest sculpture in the above photo. And the variety of people and clothing in the crowd. Remember you can click on the photos to see more detail.

This was a beautiful multi-sculpture statue - or would that be a multi-statue sculpture in the middle of the traffic circle in front of Buckingham Palace. You can't see it in this photo, but it even had fountains on the bottom design tier. I took a lot of photos of sculptures and statues and most of them I put up on Laume's Studio.



We mosied over to Trafalgar Square. They were doing some cleaning or repair work on many of the sculptures but we still enjoyed wandering around. It was pretty but, I really liked the energy in Leicester Square a few blocks away better. I went in the National Gallery (the building on the left) for awhile but William's foot hurt and he sat and people watched.

And pigeon watched. I think this was the first place either of us had seen large "gangs" of pigeons. Did we see pigeons like this in New York City?...... no, not that I remember - although I'm sure they are there - we just watched the movie Enchanted. I love the clean up scene with all the New York City "wildlife".

Lots of beautiful fountains.


In the overview photo above of the square, you can see a church spire just left of the fountain in the center. I can't remember the name of the church... St. Martins? Beneath the church is cafeteria style dining (but excellent food) called Lunch in the Crypt. Pull up a chair. Dine with some of the local residents. Or more accurately, dine ON some of the local residents.


I took this photo with a telephoto lens from inside the cloisters of Westminster Cathedral. I liked the complex design of the towers in the background in contrast to the more modern interpretation of a .... phoenix? dragon?... on the pole on the right.

So, now, go check out all photographs of the sculptures and statues I posted over on Laume's Studio. And then we'll leave London behind (but don't worry, we'll be back later) for someplace COMPLETELY different!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home