Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Six


Six skulls out of six MILLION resting, hopefully peacefully, in the catacombs beneath the city of Paris. Sam and Kyla want to visit the catacombs, so I'll be returning for a second visit. I was glad William and I visited it on our last visit but I wouldn't call it an enjoyable experience so much as an interesting and intense one. There are many signs, all of them in French of course, throughout the visitor's path. Maybe this time I'll be able to pick out a few words here and there and understand them better. Or rather, understand them a bit. I didn't understand them AT ALL before.

What I'm more excited about this trip is visiting some of Paris' resting departed slightly closer to the surface, in the city's cemeteries. William and I stumbled into and wandered through one of the cemeteries last time. It took me quite a bit of research to finally figure out which one it was - Montparnasse. Perhaps we'll visit it again this time, and also the cemetery in Montmartre. I also hope to visit the most famous cemetery, Pere Lachaise. Jeff has put in a request to find Jim Morrison's grave there. I was never a raging Doors fan, so I don't particularly care one way or another, but there are a lot of other famous people buried in Pere Lachaise and of course bountiful photo ops.

I would have shared a photo of some of the above ground crypts but, alas, I couldn't find a photo to match one of the remaining numbers. Technically one isn't allowed to take photos in the cemeteries (which I did not know when I took photos last time), but apparently they look the other way in these three particular locations.

2 Comments:

Blogger Belita Rose said...

Okay a little creepy. Cool story, and sad, but creepy picture! Love you!

11:24 PM  
Blogger Troop 1309 said...

That is an amazing photo!

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home