Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pere Lachaise Cemetery - Part Three

I figured I better finish up with the last of the Pere Lachaise photos while it was still October.

This fellow was pretty neat - I think he's a griffin.


I love the time worn texture and faded color of her long sleep.


If you recall, after being intrigued by a short story about it in the movie Paris, Je 'Taime, I wanted to see Oscar Wilde's grave. Here it is. I should have taken a photo from the front as well, guess I forgot. Apparently along with all the lipstick marks, the angel's penis has been knocked off several times and for awhile was used as a paperweight at the cemetery office.


I don't know much more about him than I read at his Wikipedia site, but from what I've learned, I have to think that he might be enjoying all this postlife attention and "grafitti".


A much more traditional design, a small cherub peeking around the edge of a stone.



Is this a book of reckoning or some symbolism I'm supposed to know?


A very sweet young statue. These soft, flowing, sad, angsty designs seem to be specific to the Paris cemeteries. At least, I mean I haven't seen the same sort of style anywhere else I've visited, which isn't that many places, so that doesn't really count for much.


Here's another example of the style I mean. It's almost as if they're slowing melting away in the sun and rain.


Close up. I wonder if the man's face was intentionally made to be darker or if it's just a fluke of seasoned patterning.


A pelican? Not exactly your typical gravestone sculpture.


And the last photo I have to share - a much smaller version of one of my favorite pieces in the Louvre. What's she doing here?

It's been too much crazy busy fun to do much online since the going-on-two granddaughter arrived so, wow, we're almost through Halloween, Samhain, and Dia de Los Muertos and then the Post Spooky Challenge is over! That went a lot faster than I thought it would. I was worried I'd run out of things to post and instead I didn't have time to post everything I wanted to share.

Although, knowing me, you're likely to find some quirky and spooky stuff posted here all year round. Usually Halloween comes and goes and I'm still hanging on to the season almost through Thanksgiving (which, hellooooo, is totally out of order - we should celebrate it before Halloween, like they do in Canada - makes much more sense).

But this year I find, surprising myself, I'm already looking forward to moving into the Yuletide season. I think because I'm very determined to make a lot of homemade gifts this year and so I'm ready to hit the studio as soon as the the jack-o-lanterns have started to mold. I've also got a Yule Swap idea planned and I hope to have the guidelines and a button ready in time to let folks know about it when they come visiting for the Dia de Bloglandia party on November 2.

Are you ready for the big night tomorrow? Got your pumpkins carved? (we don't - we'll do it tomorrow afternoon) Bought candy for trick-or-treaters yet? (we have) Got your costume ready? (Lisa and Joli do, I'll just be throwing on my typical witchy apparel tomorrow) What are your plans for October 31st?

3 Comments:

Blogger suesueb said...

your cemetery shots are lovely as were the others. perfect for october!! i love the houses too. when i pass abandoned houses i wonder who live there and what were their lives like. so sad sometimes.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm handing out candy while I go blog visiting...Melly is Super Dog and beats me to the door everytime!!

Happy Halloween!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful web site!

Here is the url to the blog from the Sandusky Library if you would like to take a look. This entry
features a Victorian statue at the
end:

http://sanduskyhistory.blogspot.com/2008/10/william-griswold-lane.html

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home