Monday, November 03, 2008

Dia de Los Muertos - Part 2

A follow up to my Dia de Los Muertos post I put up yesterday for the Dia de Bloglandia celebration. Because yesterday was the last day I could spend with my Lisa and Joli before they left for home early this morning, I'm still working my way slowly through the party attendees. I have to leave in a few minutes for a dental appointment (oh joy!) and I'm looking forward to settling in on the couch afterwards, me and my numb face, finding distraction by catching up on political news shows and finishing up the party.

So, gotta make this quick -

Here is the wee altar we put up on the table for our dumb supper.


There's a cauldron with water and rosemary sprinkled in it. Rosemary for remembrance. Flowers. I bought the fresh mums at the store when I went shopping for dinner ingredients as our garden has been dry, abandoned and frozen for many weeks now. But then, on a whim, I went out to at least pick a few dried marigolds from the back garden and found a tiny miracle. The recent wet more mild weather caused a few last marigold flowers to bloom!!! Tiny skulls, the closest I could get to sugar skulls. Joli has been playing with these "baby skehtons" for days. A candle from Joshua's funeral. A couple paper ACEO's and a wagon filled with photos and names of our loved ones who have passed.

Here's Lisa marking the gravestone cookies. Joli is helping of course.


I think she managed to give everyone in the family their own gravestone or coffin. Of course these are for live members of the family, still able to munch up the cookie.

We had a lovely dinner of favorite foods my paternal grandmother used to cook. Poor William had a relapse of feeling sick with the bug that's been attacking everyone in town the last few weeks so he went to bed early and missed the dinner. Lisa and Joli went to bed after dinner because they had to get up and leave early this morning. Hubby and I had our graveyard pudding and cookies. And dang, rushed, gotta go visit my dentist. Nice guy. I'm making progress on my dental phobia. Instead of feeling the least bit frightened and anxious, I'm more feeling only frustrated and annoyed to have to waste an hour and a half or so sitting in the dentist chair. My dentist is a friend so he and the assistant will probably keep me entertained with local tales, travel stories, and questions about the football team (although how I'm supposed to answer him I'll never know!)

Later 'gators!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Pretzel said...

Love the follow up! Thanks for visiting my blog!! The man in the photo with my gramma is my grandpa. They were sweetheart from age 12 and 13... and died married!

3:52 PM  
Blogger 3rdEyeMuse said...

I love the wee altar & those gravestone/coffin cookies are wicked funny. :) thanks for part 2 & I hope your dentist visit went well.

9:07 PM  
Blogger TBM said...

Laume, how lovely is your wee altar! I think those marigolds bloomed just for this :-) A beautiful and thoughtful remembrance for your family members.

Cheers from England!

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home