Wednesday, April 26, 2006

F is for.....

Foghorn - I love the sound of a lighthouse foghorn

Firewood - since our only source of heat, firewood takes up an inordinate amount of our thoughts and time. There's nothing more comforting then seeing cords of firewood all stacked and ready for the winter.

Fox - I've always liked foxes but especially since William was born. His "camping name" (we all had camping names) was Baby Fox, and then Little Fox. I think the fox is one of his totem animals.

Florence - my grandmother's twin sister, she was in my life a lot when I was younger

fire - as I already mentioned, we heat with wood. And then there's all the campfires over the years. And living up in the mountains, forest fires are a huge threat. We've had the unsettling experience of having one headed towards our home

flames - the flames of a larger fire, but specifically I am using the word to refer to a candle flame. I sometimes use them for meditation or scrying.

fairies - I collect fairy books and a few fairy figurines. One should always be nice to the fairies, you never know when you might need a favor from them.

Fred - Fred Weasley, Fred is Red, Fred the big black cat, twin brother to George.

football and 49'ers - I was a huge 49'er fan during their wonder years and football has always been and continues to be a big part of my life since I have two sons who play or have played football.

Fiestaware - I used to adore it. At the time I didn't have the money to collect the real thing, but I had bits and pieces and lots of wannabe pieces. I gave up on it as our main dishware about five years ago, but I still tend to buy things that come in sets of rainbow colors instead of a single color.

French - I'm 1/16th French... or maybe it's 1/8th.

fair - I'm an absolute fair junkie!!! County fair, state fair, doesn't matter. I love it all! Also, one of my most commonly quoted sayings (if you don't believe me, ask my kids) is "Nobody said life is fair."

fables - fables, myths, fairy tales.... love'em all

fear of failure, flabby, fatigue - I try to stick to positive words, and avoid negative ones but sometimes a word or two stands out. I just wish these words didn't belong here at all.

Family - family first, I love my family, I am blessed with such a wonderful one. Odd perhaps. Eccentric definitely. Time consuming.... sigh, that too. But I wouldn't trade them for all the money in the world.

Fantasia - No, not the AI contestent, I mean one of my favorite Disney movies as a child. This one and Sleeping Beauty probably tie for first place.

fabric - I'm a quilter. Need I say more!?

farm - always thought I'd marry a farmer and live on a farm. Never did, but I still have fond memories of the assorted farms of my childhood

fate - I'm sort of on the fence on this one, although it's something I'm forced to think of a lot. I do believe in fate but I don't think of it in the sense of an absolute. More like a current, with stronger and weaker pulls. I think of fate and free will not as opposites but more as different forces that work hand in hand.

find - I'm very good at finding things.

4-H - I didn't do it as a child but I had my chance to enjoy 4-H when my children were involved with it for many years

fireflies - these are such magical little creatures. I grew up in the midwest but don't really remember seeing them much. I think they were there, I just think no one thought to point them out to me, which is odd, since my folks were good at pointing out shooting stars, the beauty of an ice storm, the sound of birds. I wish I'd been able to enjoy them more.

firstborn - that would be me.

fishing - I spent a lot of time fishing as a kid, fond memories of the waves lapping softly on the sides of the boat or against the dock, the sun low and velvety in the sky, the mesmorizing concentration on that red and white bobber, the immediate full body alertness when it would suddenly jump.

flash - I hate posing in front of a camera flash. Sometimes it gives me a migraine.

flowers - I love to garden and yet flowers were a later passion. First came vegetables and fruits, then herbs. The first flowers I really planted were either edible or a type of herb. Then I added everlasting flowers, for dried arrangements. I thought what I put in my garden had to have a practical purpose. Eventually I came to understand that gardening is a purpose in and of itself and flowers need no other purpose then the pleasure and beauty they add to our life. Food for the soul. Now I have gardens full of flowers, as many as I can grow.

forget-me-nots and foxglove - two of my favorite old fashioned flowers

flying monkey - Don't make me get my flying monkeys! One of my favorite mottos/bumper stickers. And of course, my little Rosita the Flying Monkey.

focus - something I have a tendency to lose much to easily

forests - I am so thankful I grew up in a time before childhood became just a series of structured activities, a prison of sorts. Perhaps a loving and happy prison, but still, a place where worried parents had good reason to always stand guard. I spend many of my childhood hours wandering unfettered in forests. I am the person I am today to a great degree because of that freedom. And I can't forget my love of redwood forests - something I didn't discover until my adult years, but no less magical because of that.

fun - if it's not fun, why do it!? Well, sometimes you just have to what you have to do. But then, you might as well make it as fun as possible. Right!? Fun, a much neglected aide to good mental, and probably physical, health.

funny - see above. Laugh as much as possible. If it's not funny, look at it from a different perspective. And if it's really not funny, then you have every right to use dark humor.

Funny Girl - my favorite movie as a young teen.

friends - I couldn't survive without them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

Good list, including (as always!) some I didn't think of!

I like your description of fate. It sounds like we have a similar attitude about it - I think it exists, but think there are very few things about it that are inevitable...more like strong influences. Your description of stronger and weaker currents is perfect!

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Kirsty said...

I can't believe I forgot Fun, fabric and fireflies! So glad that you got them in! And I did remember Families, we have the same motto, family first, and did it way before Dr Phill did!

I so enjoy reading these lists!

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home