Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday: Week One

This month's theme is April's Fool. This was the first thing I thought of -


I got my butterfly tiara as a gift from my friend Deirdre several years ago. I wore it around town for most of that summer. Yes. Around town. Sometimes with embarrassed (well, no, not really, they've accepted having an odd mother a long time ago) child or friend in tow. To Walmart. Out to lunch. To the bank. Those sparkly turquoise wings helped me feel happy in a time of great sadness. I don't wear them much anymore because one wing will no longer stand up. William put them on this morning, climbed on a chair and jumped off. Several times. When I finally wrestled them back from him and put them on for the photo he said "Oh, the wing is broken. That's why I couldn't fly." Now they hang over my bathroom light fixture where I can see them and they remind me to attempt other foolish things.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those!! I'd probably where something that around town. My son is still in the process of accepting that he has a weird mother. :-)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Kirsty said...

I love how you just found a wonderful way of letting your love and grief fly...I wish I had been thus inspired after my mom passed. I too have worn funny head gear in public!.... I want a pair of reindeer antlers for yule this year....
Moonsinger

6:46 PM  
Blogger :-D eirdre said...

First time I saw a photo of you with the Butterfly Tiara - you look quite regal - like the Queen MUM - hahahaha

PS - I will see you in 2 days!

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home