Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Crazy Me MeMe

I'm still in the midst of CD madness and some family angst. In fact, I think I need to do a couple of flow charts and lists to keep track of all the different stressses I'm juggling at the moment. Sigh. But I don't really want to whine about all that - I'm all out of cheese at the moment. (one more thing, I need to go to the market soon.)

So instead I will do this MeMe my daughter-in-law Lisa did on Creative Slave today.

1. Where is your dad right now? On a whole 'nother plane of existence. Unless he's been reincarnated already.

2. Last time you kissed someone? A couple of minutes ago I kissed my Rosie. She's furry but she's still a someone.

3. What is something you've learned about yourself recently? I don't know if I've learned anything new about myself lately. I just keep relearning the same things over and over again it seems. Like, once again I learn I can handle stress better than my husband. Or, I like rainy weather. Or I have a hard time keeping any part of the calendar free of commitments.

4. What color is your watch? I don't have a watch. I have a cell phone and it tells the time in the top righthand corner. The cell phone is black.

5. Who do you love? My grandparents, parents, ex-MIL Gloria, all my kids, all my grandkids, all my dearest friends, my cats, my dogs, Mother Nature, my garden, the beach, my bed, my laptop......

6. Are you close to your mom? Yes. I nabbed myself a good one.

7. Where does your best friend work? I've never known how to answer this question as most of the time I have several long term dear friends who are all "best friends". One of my best friends works for a San Francisco Bay Area school district running a program that helps families with special need children, doing assessments and helping them network with resources. Another best friend is a stay at home mom who is still home schooling her youngest teen. Another best friend is a Waldorf teacher who work with special needs children. Another is in the middle of remodeling their 100 year old Victorian home. Another keeps track of a huge multi-generational family and helps in a home computer business. Another works as an office manager for a company that does publicity for the bio-tech industry. And so on..... I don't really know where to cut this off. Think of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood - they were ALL best friends. Only in my case, they're not a group relationship but a bunch of individual relationships.

8. What are you listening to right now? Traffic going by on the street outside. The cat's tongue as she cleans her fur. The television on low in the other room and occasional comments or laughter from hubby as he talks to the screen.

9. What do you smell like? Usually I just smell like me. I don't wear perfume. But I do have this coconut lime body spray I like and sometimes I spritz myself with that. And I smell, I suppose, like whatever scent my shampoo is at the moment.

10. What color are your pants? Today they are black. I haven't been wearing pants, I've been mostly in shorts lately. But it's been rainy and cold here for a couple of days. In fact, I looked outside this morning and was shocked to see new SNOW on the mountains! So I'm wearing black jeans and even shoes and socks (instead of flip flops) and a long sleeve shirt (the new fairy shirt my mom sent me that I thought I'd have to wait for fall to wear) and a pink sweater. And underwear. No bra. And my glasses. And wedding ring. And a silver kokopelli charm on a chain. Uhm..... yep. I think that's it.

11. Do you have a roommate? MANY roommates! My hubby, a teen, many cats, two dogs, other family that have homes of their own but come for frequent visits. And don't forget all those bugs.

12. What color is your bedroom flooring? In need of refinishing oak hardwood. It's sort of a dusty golden tan.

13. Do you have a chair in your room? I have a footstool. But it's got a box on top of it. No chair, but that would be nice. I've always wanted a bedroom that had a little reading alcove.

14. What time of day were you born? I think it was in the morning. Which is odd, if you know me, you know I'm much more likely to ANYTHING later in the day.

15. Do you know anyone who is engaged? Engaged in what? Conversation? Illegal drug dealing? Oh! You mean engaged to be married! Then, no.

16. What's your favorite number? 9 or 8

17. Do you know someone named Lori? Yes.

18. What color is your mom's hair? My mom's hair has been every color under the sun, including purple and orange. Currently it's a dark salt and pepper probably.

19. Do you have a dog? Two of 'em. And I wish I could take in a young Boxer who needs a home but sigh, I'm not insane. I might seem insane on occasion. But I'm not.

20. Do you remember singing any songs as kids? Of course! Doesn't everyone sing! Songs my mom sang to me. Songs on my children's records. Songs from Romper Room and later from television shows (Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale. The tale of a fateful trip.....), songs my mother played on the stereo. And it's not like I stopped singing when I grew up.

21. When was the last time you went swimming? Hmmm. I went in my friend's hot tub last year. And I went out in Sam's boat last summer, but not in the water. I'm more of a water admirer than a swimmer. Oh. I walked barefoot on the beach in San Diego county this April. Does that count?

22. When was the last time you talked to one of your siblings? If you count e-mail, today actually. I don't talk to them as often as I should. I just forget to call. Of course they forget to call me more often too, so it's only half my fault. I enjoy talking to them. Just get busy and then we're in different time zones so that complicates things.

23. Did you ever go to camp as a kid? Yes. It was a regular summer activities type camp but you could sign up for the horse camp and I did that. It was a lot of fun. I wish I'd been able to go more but it was expensive and my folks didn't have enough money to send me. Most of my kids had the opportunity to go to 4-H camp for several years. And Joe went to both football camp and he also worked as a camp counselor when he was a teen. Both Joe and Sam (and William next year) will go on our high school's sophomore Biology Field Trip which is a week of camping on the northern California coast. I really wanted to send William to a Harry Potter camp a few summer's ago but we couldn't manage it and now he's too old.

24. Do you play an instrument? I can play the basics on a clarinet, saxophone, piano, and guitar. I also can play a few notes, but not enough to really mention, on a flute and penny whistle. And anyone can play a basic drum beat, yes? I don't really play anything anymore.

25. Do you like fire? In it's place. I've heated my home with wood fires for most of my adult life. And I've spent many a night around a campfire. I'm cautious with candles because of kids and cats, but I like candles too. But I've had to pack my cars up for fear that a forest fire couldn't be stopped, so I respect the power of fire as much as admire it.

26. Are you allergic to anything? Boring people, stupid people, housework, bad food.... okay, seriously - not that I know of.

27. When was the last time you cried? Last night. I finished rereading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. And if you know what happens, you know why I cried.

28. What kind of shampoo do you use? Right now I'm using a coconut lime verbena moisturizing shampoo I bought on sale after the holidays at Bath & Body Works. Before that I used cheap Suave Shampoo for decades. But I noticed that even though this new shampoo costs more, it lasted a lot longer and I like the way my hair feels better. I don't have access to a mall to replace it, so I bought something new at the store the other day. Can't remember what it is. I'll find out when I use up the last of my current bottle and take this one out of the bag.

29. Have you ever been to a spa? No. I've had several massages - gifts from friends. And I've had my hair washed and cut at a beauty parlor maybe a dozen times in my life. But that's it.

30. Did you take science all four years of high school? No. In fact I only took it for two years and one of those years it was with a psycho teacher that, if it was nowadays, my parents would have sued for him to be fired. So, let's just say I didn't learn a lot in his class. But I liked the one biology class I took. And I really like science, so it's odd I didn't take more of it in high school. I did take quite a bit of it in college - pretty much everything but physics.

31. Do you like butterflies? Of course. But what kind of question is that? Like, are there people who would answer "No. I hate the little bastards. Always flying around looking so damn colorful and cheerful. Yuck. And I hate flowers too." Sheesh.

32. Do you like Coke or Pepsi more? Neither. They both taste too strong to me. In fact I'm not a soda drinker much at all. But if I do, I like Shasta Cola or one of the supermarket generic brands over ice accompanying pizza or popcorn.

33. What is the one thing you miss most about your past? Obviously the ONE thing I miss most are the loved ones who I've lost. But I miss other things too. If we go waaaaay back, I miss the innocence of childhood. I miss the sense that anything was possible that I had in my early adulthood. I miss the stamina and energy of my younger years. And I miss having a body that I could drape in something sexy with no fear that people would laugh, throw up, or run in horror at the sight of it.

34. Did you ever see the school nurse? A couple of times I guess.

35. Have you ever wanted to be a teacher? I've been a teacher. I've taught a lot of classes and workshops in my time - everything from childbirth and parenting classes to herb walks and quilting. And I taught all my kids of course in the normal course of parenting. I also homeschooled four of my five kids for some or most of their school years. I also homeschooled my niece one year and I've helped home school a few of my kids' friends here and there. I've also taught people things one on one, like knitting, cooking, gardening, etc. But I don't have a teacher's credential. I have actually considered going back to school and getting one but I think I've become far too radical and opinionated in my old age to put up with the institutional crap you have to put up with to work in the public schools these days. The actual teaching people part though, I like that.

36. What is one thing you've learned about life? Thankfully I've learned a lot more than one thing. But a few of the more important things. Kindness matters. Don't borrow tomorrow's troubles. Head's up. Speak up even if your voice trembles. If the emperor isn't wearing clothes, don't be afraid to say so even when everyone else is pretending he does. Be selfish enough to take care of yourself or you're not going to be any good to anyone else. Laugh and dance and sing a lot. Sometimes you just have to do things even if they're boring or suck or frighten you. Life isn't fair but that's okay, they seem to even out anyway. Love your enemies, it completely confuses them. Coincidences are rarely just coincidences. What's right for one person isn't necessarily right for someone else.

37. Jealous of anyone? Not really. Sometimes I think "I wish I could do that..." but I don't begrudge the other person the opportunity over me. Usually it's something that if I wanted to do it, I probably could, if I wanted to change directions or work harder or be more focused.

38. Is anyone jealous of you? I've lost three relationships that I'm aware of, including a really dear long term friend that I didn't expect in a million years to ever part ways with, because they were jealous or envious of me. In the latter case, the sad thing was that in many ways I admired a lot of opportunities and talents that my friend had in her life that I did not. The whole thing was so stupid. I mean, did she really want to trade lives with me??? Of course not. The whole thing made me both mad and ultimately sad because it was so unnecessary.

39. Ever been stuck in an elevator? Uhm.... I think once for a few minutes.

40. What does your dad call you? He's passed away, so he doesn't call me anything. I don't recall him having a nickname for me. No, wait. He used to call me LindaLou sometimes. That whole side of the family did.

41. What does your mom call you? Linda. Or "honey".

42. What does your hair look like right now? Auburn with liberal gray streaks. I'm growing out my bangs. I washed it last night and slept on it sort of wet and didn't comb it today so, you judge for yourself.

43. Has a friend ever used you? Not that I can recall. So I guess if I was used, it wasn't memorable or earth shattering.

44. Has anyone recently told you that they like you? My hubby told me he loved me today. My son Sam told me he loved me last night. My daughter told me she loved me yesterday afternoon. My daughter-in-law told me she loved me this afternoon. My chihuahua leaps and wriggles in pure, uncontained joy whenever I come home, even if I only go out to the garden for a second, so I think we can define that as "liking me". Charlie Weasley tried repeatedly just a few minutes ago to sit on my chest and purr and rub noses with me. So I think he likes me. Unless..... wait a minute..... maybe he's just trying to USE me for a warm spot to sleep. My friend called me to go to lunch with her today. But she was definitely just using me as an excuse to go to the tea room. Hehe.

45. What have you eaten today? An entire pot of Irish Breakfast tea (my order) with milk and sugar and one cup of spiced tea (my friend's order). A cold creamy peach soup with a hint of cinnamon. A currant scone with lemon curd and clotted cream. A slice of cheese and green chili quiche. A two inch square tea sandwich with ham, mango and cream cheese. Four grapes, a strawberry slice, and two orange slices.

46. Is your hair naturally curly or straight? Straight, but with a bit of wave. When I go to the sea or in really humid weather it tends to get rather curly.

47. Ever been called white trash? Not to my face.

48. Who was the last person you drove with? Last time I drove I was alone but yesterday William drove the Bronco with hubby and I in the car. ACK! I offered to sit in the backseat but hubby beat me to it. Last time I was at the wheel with someone else in the car... can't remember if it was hubby or William.

49. What are you looking forward to? The 7th Harry Potter book coming out, getting my redecorating etc. done in the house, seeing all my grandkids (one in June, the other three in July), the first tomato from the garden (I rarely eat fresh tomatoes from the store - why bother, they hardly have any taste), hubby's insane work hours being reduced to something close to a normal work week, going to Paris again some day.....

50. What is your favorite color? Green usually. Depends on what we're talking about - homes, flowers, clothing, paintings.... I like all colors.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know Laume, if you are going to spend all this time answering the questions you could at least complete the answers - for example, question #32 should have ended with

....I like Shasta cola with free refills...

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home