Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Finis!

At least, the path is completely laid. I guess it's as true about making your path as it is walking it - one step at a time.

The weird part was that each time I completed a section, I covered it with dirt, so my progress became invisible as soon as I finished it. I finally set in the last of the rocks Sunday and yesterday Joe (and William a bit too) helped me shovel all the dirt and dirt piles off the cement.



Some of it went here in this section, which still has to be cleared and leveled. It will become a bit of a herbal meadow. What didn't fit here, we spread out in the ruts in the alley. There's still a lot of work left to do, but I swept until I could at least see how it turned out...


Ta da! So, whaddya think so far? I couldn't really see what it would look like as I did it, covering it up. I think it came out even nicer than I'd expected. Joe helped me put the barrels back, so now it's just sweep, sweep, sweep some more. Then I can start planting - YAY! I like it plain like this more then I expected. But the plan was to add moss and thyme and other green bits, as well as smaller stones, inbetween the larger pieces, both for decorative and practical (to better secure it all) reasons. I'll go ahead with the plan. I think it will look nice filled in too.

But other things I'd planned are shifting a bit in my head as the garden is speaking to me. An arbor frame that was going to go between the cement and the "meadow" now seems to want to be up against the fence. It's starting to come together.

Hubby thought we'd have a a lot of stone leftover but this pile and...

...this even smaller pile is all that's left. If there were more left I was going to make a small wall or grotto in one corner of the yard, but I think there's going to be barely enough left to use as stepping stones through the meadow area.

Part of me is relieved not to have extra, part of me sort of liked it laying about. Organized, I was starting to imagine as sort of urban garden look. But once it's all in the ground, the garden will have a much softer look.

So today - much sweeping. Then off to the nursery to see what sort of groundcovers are still available.

2 Comments:

Blogger GreenishLady said...

That looks absolutely wonderful! I so admire your energy and ability to visualise how something will look! Well done! I hope you find just the right fillers.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Connie Carpenter Macko said...

totally awesome. i imagine much more rewarding than sorting m&m's into piles of color which is about all i could likely handle! you give me hope and inspiration. i patiently await the flourishing of the herbal meadow...

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home