Thursday, March 08, 2007

P.S. Book Update

In the beginning of the year I blogged on and on about reading and books. I set a goal for myself to read more books than last year. I decided to try to read at least 52 books. A book a week. Easy to keep track of and I hoped easy enough to accomplish that even a few busy spells or setbacks wouldn't keep me from meeting or, hopefully, even exceeding my goal.

I set another goal to try to read a greater variety of books then I did last year. (Although, looking back on last year's list, such as I could put together from memory, it now seems a broader variety of titles than I gave myself credit for when I first wrote it.) To that end I made a TBR list. (To Be Read) It's not a complete list. I keep stumbling upon titles I meant to include that I couldn't think of at the time. But it's a starting point. On it are books I discovered and/or bought last year and never managed to get around to reading. Also a few classics or well known titles I've meant to read for years. The plan was to allow myself to alternate back and forth between the list and new and impulsive book choices.

So, how am I doing? Well, in nine and a half weeks I've managed to read thirteen and a half books. This works out to about a book and a half each week. Not bad. And of those thirteen books, five of them are from my list, or, by my own definition, should have been on it. So, that's not too bad either.

Of course now that I'm reading more, I've noticed that I'm waaaaay behind on movies I want to see. Sheesh, there's just not enough hours in the day. Have you ever thought about all the things that people say you "should" do every day/week/month? Like, read the paper. You should read it because, I mean, come on, what's your excuse - it only takes ten minutes, right? And floss. (That only takes an extra minute.) And do kegels. (Five minutes.) Call your mother. (Okay, this one might be rather time consuming for some folks.) Vacuum regularly. Keep up on current events. Exfoliate. Keep the garden deadheaded. Exercise the dog. Eat enough fruit. Make your own bread. Keep up with your hobbies. Go to the gym. Get enough fresh air. Meditate. Update your checkbook. Read. (Of course.) Get your teeth cleaned regularly. Keep up your blog or journal. Do a RAOK. And so on and so on and so on....

If all those things that only take a minute a day or an hour a week, or whatever, were added up.... hold on a minute.... let me do the math.... it would take 2,486 more hours per week then is physically possible if you are a one-reality-at-a-time, non-Tardis owning kinda gal. Sigh. That's why, for the most part, I try to lovingly embrace my imperfections.

But I'm ahead of the curve on my reading goals. That's something!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home