Monday, August 31, 2009

Faerieworlds - Bad Faery Day

It's pretty unanimous that Bad Faery Day is everyone's favorite. Not only is it nicely in the middle, not the first day when you're trying to get your bearings and too excited to be relaxed, and not the last day when you can already feel the end approaching. Plus, who can resist letting one's more impish side out to play!


IMG_7532 by you.

Here's the camping core of us in our Bad Faery finery.


IMG_7524 by you.
Hubby looked quite handsome actually, in his kilt and Puckish horns, but here he just looks his ordinary goofy self, trying to sneak through the forest.


IMG_7515 by you.

I made Joli's little fire faery outfit. Here she is trying to wave her sparky hands about.

IMG_7505 by you.

Victoria worked on her outfits during the weeks leading up to the festival and this one went through some last minute adaptations to finally arrive at this stunning purple evil enchantress persona.

IMG_7493 by you.

I was with Lisa when she found the pieces for her Bad Faery Day outfit. We decided to call a spade a spade and labeled this her Slutty Faery outfit. She got her photo taken a lot this day, for obvious reasons. She looked totally hot. (and was indeed, VERY hot inside those boots, that she hated having to take off as the day wore on)


IMG_7511 by you.

I got my photo taken a lot this day as well. The idea for this evil Will-o-the-Wisp came to me after last year's festival and I wasn't sure if I could manifest it like I pictured it in my head, but I was thrilled when it all came together in the end. One thing I didn't consider that worked well is that since black (and to a lesser degree red) were the obvious choices for the theme, white stood out in the crowd. The idea - and so many people described me in exactly this way, which was so exciting that they "got" it - that I was beautiful from far off, luring people in. It wasn't until they got up close (at which point a real evil Will-O-the-Wisp would have lured her victims far off the beaten path and done what she pleased with them) that they started to notice the skulls, bones, skeletons, and decaying lace.


IMG_7509 by you.

Here you can see my bone wings and the lace and other decaying fabric on the last layer of my outfit. It's actually old pieces that I accidentally left out in the rain and then washed as best I could, thinking I could use them to make some odd dolls or something out of - it was perfect. Unfortunately I forgot to get a real close up of my wings.


IMG_7485 by you.

Just another photo of me being all sassy.


IMG_7548 by you.
Once we were ready, we wandered down for breakfast. Several members of our larger circle of friends took it upon themselves to organize and run a group kitchen for the camping folk. Here's the head chef, Sam, most probably the nicest Red Cap you'll ever meet.


IMG_7552 by you.

And then it was off on the walk to the festival. Before we even arrived, the magic began. This guy was just standing in the woods by the side of the road drumming folks into the realm.


IMG_7560 by you.

It was a long walk for the smaller fae. Apparently Joli's baby faery was having a hard time keeping up.


IMG_7559 by you.

The closer we got, the more faeries we saw. They were coming out of the woods all over the place!


IMG_7576 by you.

When we arrived, even though it was still far too hot to qualify as Oregon weather, the music had already begun and faeries were flying about everywhere you looked.


IMG_7580 by you.

There were bad faeries, evil faeries, slinky faeries, and mysterious fae and creatures of all kinds. This faery family I remembered from last year, they looked incredible on this day although, I don't think they quite turned their young one to their evil ways quite yet.


IMG_7568 by you.

Here I am posing with my friend Mermaid, this day a seductive siren version of the watery fae (she mostly looks hot in this photo but trust me, she looked gorgeous), and Katie as a crow (raven?) faery. Katie is a wonderful artist and I love the Poe woodblock design tank top I bought from her this year. Wearing it right now actually. (You might have to click on the specific image on that last link to see the Poe print)


IMG_7567 by you.

Here's that wee fae again being entertained by Toby Froud and his friend Ignatz. Most of you know Toby for his role as the baby in the movie Labyrinth but as you can see, he's grown a bit since then and, amongst other creative talents, is a talented puppet maker.


IMG_7563 by you.

Here's Lisa again with a likeminded fae with the same fashion statement - we had to take a photo of them together!

IMG_7582 by you.

Here are two fanciful fae wearing charming chapeau's designed by our friend Heather. Argh, I couldn't find a link. I don't know if she even has a website for her creations. If she does, can someone throw me the URL? If not, then shame on you Heather, you should!

IMG_7579 by you.

I guess these three youthful pranksters makes a good "tail end" for this post. More Bad Faery Day to come...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Allie said...

I wanted look up ideas for costumes for my first Faerie weekend and your blog was great!! I am so excited :)

Peace

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home